Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Discussion > Beer and Nostalgia (or Beer nostalgia)

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Ali

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Beer and Nostalgia (or Beer nostalgia)

Good afternoon all.

I've just brewed a Double Diamond clone from Graham Wheelers book . You may well ask "why the hell would you do that?", and I can only think that it must be nostalgia creeping in.

When I first started drinking (albeit illegally!) Double Diamond was one of the 'in' drinks, although I have to say that I really remember it as fizzy pigs p**s. As I have grown older, and things seem to be changing at an ever quickening pace, I just wonder if we want to slow down, hark back to a different 'better' era that we remember with fondness. The more we accelarate away from this 'better' time, the more we want to travel back to it. It was why I chose making this clone I think. The strange thing is, when I tasted it, it certainly brought back a very distinct memory (minus the excess fizziness)and one that I liked so much, it has made me wonder what else I may try and recreate. Watneys Red Barrel anyone? (please God no, not that far!)

So my questions are, what is your take on beer nostalgia, and what beer of yesteryear would you brew?

Oh and the 'better' time I refered to? Vietnam war, three day weeks, lousy sixties music (I can feel the abuse coming at me now !), so may be not really better, just different...
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Irishwizard

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes - "why the hell would you do that"
Lousy 60's music?? -wash your mouth out with DD immediately
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
terrym

Liked 1602 Times on 1158 Posts
Likes Given: 709

My old dad used to work in the plant in Burton where they bottled DD and would also bring it home as part of his 'allowance'. Thing is he didn't drink very much, so it was left to a young terrym to 'help him out'. So I've had my share of DD in my time, but tbh never touched the keg stuff, it was sickly sweet if I remember correctly, and even then not to my liking at all.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
My old dad used to work in the plant in Burton where they bottled DD and would also bring it home as part of his 'allowance'. Thing is he didn't drink very much, so it was left to a young terrym to 'help him out'. So I've had my share of DD in my time, but tbh never touched the keg stuff, it was sickly sweet if I remember correctly, and even then not to my liking at all.
Yep, put mine in bottles (strange how I don't remember seeing it in bottles, only on the bar out of kegs). Not sure if bottling had an effect on it or not, but happy to report that it isn't sickly sweet. Who knows, if they hadn't kegged it, perhaps it would still be around...guess we'll never know.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #5
Ali

A memory, sort of related to this, has just come back to me.

My father (happily still alive...sort of!) relays a story from his RAF days. On leave one weekend he and a couple of his pals decided to go out for a night on the beer. One of his friends, Geordie (no prizes for guessing where he originated from) was encouraged to try the local brewery beer,Tolly Cobbold. (I know, but what can you do?). On taking hold of his pint and taking his first pull, he noticed a poster on the wall from the brewery "by golly, it's Tolly". When the first mouthful had gone, he looked again at the poster, and exclaimed " By golly, it's Tolly....By F**k it's muck!!" Never a truer word spoken! At least thats one I shall not be trying to recreate

Old 12-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Gunge

Liked 911 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Webster's Pennine bitter.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
Webster's Pennine bitter.
I'd forgotton all about that one. Strange, considering how heavily advertised at the time.

Perhaps others' ideas of what they would brew will stir up even more memories...

Old 12-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I remember the name Tolly Cobbold from 80s beer festivals, don't remember the beer though. It's got a Wiki entry, with the hilarious line "Tolly Cobbold produced an infamous lager known as Husky Brew, which John Cobbold himself compared to a dog's urine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolly_Cobbold

My beer of choice when younger was Burton Ale or Draught Bass. Must try to brew them one day but suspect I may be disappointed. 6X was another staple but not so keen on it these days, too sweet.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Grizzly299
The Beer Bear

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I found an old Double Diamond ashtray whilst working on a building site once, I gave it to my Dad as he always spoke fondly of it. I guess it was from that bygone era when lighting up a cigarette in a pub wasn't on par with lowering your trousers and taking a dump in front of someone.

I also made an ESB called Triple Topaz, as a pun on Double Diamond. Lord knows I wouldn't actually want to clone it, after reading many bad reviews.

Didn't one of the larger beer companies also try to flog that dead horse and bring back DD?

Bottle Conditioning:

Drinking:

Up Next:

Horses For Courses - Experimental NEIPA
What did you say, son? - Saison

Webpage - www.grizzlybrews.co.uk
Twitter - @Grizzlybrews

Old 12-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #10
Irishwizard

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm View Post
I remember the name Tolly Cobbold from 80s beer festivals, don't remember the beer though. It's got a Wiki entry, with the hilarious line "Tolly Cobbold produced an infamous lager known as Husky Brew, which John Cobbold himself compared to a dog's urine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolly_Cobbold

My beer of choice when younger was Burton Ale or Draught Bass. Must try to brew them one day but suspect I may be disappointed. 6X was another staple but not so keen on it these days, too sweet.
Proper draught BASS was a good pint (once)
Godsdog Likes This