What percentage oats in a pale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not too bad from wilko (£2.50/kg) which is certainly cheaper than the H&B cornflakes I recently used. But your right popcorn is more natural, and who doesnt like a brewing experiment
Crikey that's a great price for sure and no postage I assume.I see the Range have it as well and is cheaper than the Popcorn but I'll give it a whirl during the week [emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Crikey that's a great price for sure and no postage I assume.I see the Range have it as well and is cheaper than the Popcorn but I'll give it a whirl during the week [emoji106]

Yup no postage. You can do click and collect (for free) if they dont have it in stock. I've never (needed to) used the Range for anything before. I'm not even sure if I have one near me/work.

Even if brewing sugar is cheaper (and gives exactly the same result, which I'm not sure it will as I suspect popcorn may give the beer a mild corn flavour), I think the popcorn is a great experiment :thumb:

Have a Vienna lager still in the fridge though have used 250g in a threw together brew which needs bottling shortly.
I have the advantage of an agricultural store about 2 miles up the road with plenty of animal feed.Must check it out.[emoji106]

With popcorn, do you need to pop the corn to get the flavour? Could you crush it or put it in whole?

Yes, I think that would work as you're not really after the flavour from the corn but the added cheap gravity points it brings. It the equivalent of putting table sugar into a brew to make it cheaper. In the US of course corn is cheap but not so cheap here in the UK. Our equivelant is using invert syrups (in bitters especially).
I'm planning on using the cheapest cornflakes from the supermarket I can find next time I need flaked maize. Some people reckon that because of all the added additives in cornflakes, you cant use them but I read a few posts on forums where people said they used them fine and I think @gunge has used them too no problem

Yes, I think that would work as you're not really after the flavour from the corn but the added cheap gravity points it brings. It the equivalent of putting table sugar into a brew to make it cheaper. In the US of course corn is cheap but not so cheap here in the UK. Our equivelant is using invert syrups (in bitters especially).
I'm planning on using the cheapest cornflakes from the supermarket I can find next time I need flaked maize. Some people reckon that because of all the added additives in cornflakes, you cant use them but I read a few posts on forums where people said they used them fine and I think @gunge has used them too no problem

Ah ok, thats interesting! As people tend to get me foodie gifts for Christmas and Birthdays, I have quite a few of the "artisan" popcorn kernels so might try using some of those. I have been using the citric acid from the 5 cheese making kits I have been given in my wines and also sometimes use the cheap thermometers that some with those sets as well. Homebrewing is using up all the rubbish from the cupboards! :lol:

Interesting,think this calls for a wee experiment.I found when popped there is a slight nuttiness to the flavour but may have a try at 2*25g mashes to see and check gravity.

But that's what it is...animal feed. Not produced in a clean place free from contamination from stuff that will make you sick.....
Like fields and farms? Malted barley is crawling with bacteria and fungi.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Floor malted barley.....
Make friends with germs and you know the rest.
As @MyQul says the boil should take care of it and besides the grains your brewing with are trucked by the trailer load and are only bagged when requested.

It doesn't go through a controlled process. ..why not get some of that meat that's destined for dog food or pig food or whatever...it'll be OK after a good hour in your oven....

Latest posts

Back