Need Orange taste hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
Need to make a lager/golden ale for the wife but she does not like grapefruit taste in the hops. I gave her a Doombar Amber ale and that has a nice orange background to it.
Any suggestions of which hops give orange with very little grapefruit-I will probably use some zest in the secondary to accentuate the orange taste
Used Waimea which has orange but still grapefruit as well
never tried Mandarina is it orange as the name suggests

This will be her christmas brew so got to get it right

I made a Single malt pale ale with the mandarine Bavaria hops and I really liked it. A few people tried it and said they could taste the orange flavour. Can't remember the 60 min bittering hop. I used 100g of the mandarine in the boil and dry hop.

I find that the fullers yeast strain (whitelabs 002) can bring an orange marmalade flavour, though it isn't a bright zesty orange.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Amarillo I would say had some grapefruit in it...

Try Admiral...

With all due respect to Hamster I dry hopped a brew with 50g Admiral and it completely dominated the flavour and was nothing like orange, and it took weeks and weeks to mellow before it was reasonably pleasant to drink. Plus Admiral is normally used as a bittering hop. Never again I have to say.
You could have a look through these for some ideas
http://www.onebeer.net/hopschart.html
and
https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops
One of my favourite hops is First Gold which is listed in above as having 'orange citrus'.

I really don't like grapefruit flavours either but amarillo is one of my favourite hops, definitely a lot of orange from it.

How about adding some orange peel to the boil late on

I've used Mandarina Bavaria as a single hop in an American Wheat and was disappointed. It peaked at about 2 weeks bottled and never tasted like orange again, just like a "funny" cascade.

One of my favourite hops is First Gold which is listed in above as having 'orange citrus'.

I was going to suggest First Gold as well, profile says spicy and marmalade, but I've not tried them yet (other than in Badger's First Gold years ago).

I've got 100g from CML to try out, going in a GH Brown Porter for starters then there's a barleywine planned which will either get the Challenger/Fuggles/EKG combo or First Gold.

How about adding some orange peel to the boil late on

Hi AJ
going to try orange peel in late boil and dry hop with more peel and some more mandarina bavaria
Lots have suggested amarillo but I get grapefruit when I have used it

Hi AJ
going to try orange peel in late boil and dry hop with more peel and some more mandarina bavaria
Lots have suggested amarillo but I get grapefruit when I have used it

Hmm never tried putting peel in as an adition to the fermenter , be intresting to know how that would affect/infect the beer.
Ive only ever added to late boil for Belgium style wit beers, i always add more than the recipe advises as i also like that orange flavour and if you add enough the flavour realy shin s through.
There is a beer the Basques brew that has a really refreshing orange flavour to it.
When you do add to fermenter i would be gratefull if you could let me know how it turns out.

Hmm never tried putting peel in as an adition to the fermenter , be intresting to know how that would affect/infect the beer.
Ive only ever added to late boil for Belgium style wit beers, i always add more than the recipe advises as i also like that orange flavour and if you add enough the flavour realy shin s through.
There is a beer the Basques brew that has a really refreshing orange flavour to it.
When you do add to fermenter i would be gratefull if you could let me know how it turns out.

i've added things to my fermenter loads of times orange peel just use the zest and no pith add into a dish and pour boiling water on it to kill off anything and leave till similar temp to beer then add with the liquid as this may of removed some of the orange oils from the zest

i've added things to my fermenter loads of times orange peel just use the zest and no pith add into a dish and pour boiling water on it to kill off anything and leave till similar temp to beer then add with the liquid as this may of removed some of the orange oils from the zest

Yea that makes sense i will have to give it a try :thumb:

Latest posts

Back