Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshbrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Jon from Newport south Wales. I'm new to this and need some advice.
1 gallon of Cider from my apple tree, no juice or water added. in fermenting bin 11 days then sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient added 5 days a go (no home brew shop near me) is this ok? What next? Hydrometer read 40, 90, 65

IMG_20170923_100104.jpg

IMG_20170923_100415.jpg

Hi John, what you have done should turn out OK. To save messing around too much next time I would measure the gravity of the juice once pressed. Adding extra sugar can take away from the flavour and with no extra sugar it should still be around 6%ABV. you need to measure the gravity of the juice without bubbles or scum so it floats as it should. If you want to use shop yeast it should be added at the start, a single packet will not compete with a wild yeast that has had 11 days to multiply. Yeast Nutrient isn't really needed but as you have it now you might as well use it until its ran out.
if you can, leave it in a cool place over winter then rack it off and enjoy it in the spring.

Latest posts

Back