No Hydrometer.. How much sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molineux

Reaction score
Allo allo. I've been absent for a while but I remember this forum used to be smashing.

I'm knocking out a brew after a few years without having the chance. I've got all my stuff ready, jyst gone picked about 4kg of elderberries, brought the yeast, 5kg bag of sugar and realized I no longer have a hydrometer.

I don't need a scientifically accurate answer, just a rough guess. How much sugar to get a 5gal solution to fully ferment out dry at around 14%? I know I should have the right tools, I know it's a bit amateurish, I just need to get this on the go this evening so a rough guess would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there.
I don't know the average sugar content of elderberries but in my CJJ Berry book he suggests 3lb of elderberries and 3.5lb of sugar to a gallon. It isn't noted what SG this might be or indeed what volume of alcohol is expected but generally his recipes are of a good strength. The sugar alone should result in a quite a bit of alcohol if it ferments out. The table I have suggests over 18% but have I got that right? Could anyone confirm that perhaps?

Back