pan size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crannman

Reaction score
back to the home brew scene starting to brew from kits to start with 40pinters what size cooking pot will sort the job out sorry if question asked before

you dont need a boiling pot with todays kits, if considering brewing 40 pints (23l) batches of AG then 30l is the minimum volume you should consider and be expected to liquor back a bit to hit volume targets perhaps, 40 0r 50l pots will provide ample headroom to contain a rolling boil without boiling over and splashing hot sticky wort all over the place.

you dont need a boiling pot with todays kits, if considering brewing 40 pints (23l) batches of AG then 30l is the minimum volume you should consider and be expected to liquor back a bit to hit volume targets perhaps, 40 0r 50l pots will provide ample headroom to contain a rolling boil without boiling over and splashing hot sticky wort all over the place.
so your saying a 40 t0 50 litre pot will do ?

I have a 32 litre pot and can do full batches with no issues and no liquor back but headspace has about 3" clearance and it'll be down to your boil off rate,though it's down to your personnel preference.I also purchased a 30l Burco Cygnet boiler and with a max fill of 27l to allow headroom I only have to liquor back about 3 to 4 litres and that dependes on the ambient temperature but certainly a worthwhile investment and as cheap as the 32l pot I bought.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burco-Cygnet-Large-30-Litre-Catering-Hot-Water-Boiler-Tea-Urn-Stainless-Steel-/400972277660?epid=1683258780&hash=item5d5bcf679c:g:2d8AAOSwWWxY-IzA

I would suggest so yes, while many will brew happily and contently with circa 30l vessels my one experience with such a vessel was a messy afair with boil overs, tho I did over fill it so its my fault!! not the pot, but i had slightly over sparged which is an easy error.

Regardless of max fil level markings i think you want at least 4-5cm headroom above the still liquid level to encapsulate the boil safely.

And any initial foam up of the boil is much more likely to climb out with a smaller kettle tho you can use a spray bottle with water to knock back the foam.

buying pots direct from the german ebay.fr supplier who also supplies most of the uk brewshops afaik is a way to save a few quid
email [email protected] for prices and a delivery to the uk quote, they issue paypal invoices so your protected and pots will arrive by courier in a few days, its worth being prepared and open the box for a quick inspection before accepting delivery as BIG dings that crease the pots can happen in transit and you will save a week in turn about if spotted before accepting delivery wee minor dings that can be dinged out are best dinged just out ;)
(these are the budget SS pots, handles are not suitable for lifting full and they may not work with induction hobs.)
they also sell the thermopots ;)
search ebay.fr for "inox marmite 50l" for a price comparison.

Latest posts

Back