Citra Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopWroester

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to brew a beer similar to Oakham Ales Citra.

Either a kit which I can add to or an extract recipe, anyone got any suggestions?

Not got the all grain stage yet!

thanks,
Mark

Oakham Citra is very pale, not especially bitter, and is obviously single-hopped or near as damnit.

I would either look for a clone recipe and substitute grains for light malt extract (dried or liquid), and then follow the hop schedule as normal.

If it were me, for the sake of simplicity, I'd probably use a whole 100g bag of Citra for a 23L batch, with maybe around 50g of that going towards dry-hopping.

You can dry hop any suitable kit with citra. I've used 25gms a few times quite effectively, but the effect seems to dissipate over a few weeks. I often put 20gramms of citra in a pressure barrel and just leave the hops in there. That works well and the contents aren't around long enough to fade. To add the citra flavour I think it would best be added as a late addition at the end of the boil which doesn't really fit in with the way most brewers do kits.

I've dry hopped Cooper's English Bitter, Draught, and IPA. The effect was not as great as when I used it as a late addition in AG brewing, but it was there.

I would make an extract beer, use light dried extract and some Caramalt to get an OG of about 1042. Something like this:

For 23 Litres

2.5kg light DME
350g Caramalt

10g Citra @ 60
10g Citra @ 15
30g Citra @ 5
30g Citra @ dry hop

I would make an extract beer, use light dried extract and some Caramalt to get an OG of about 1042. Something like this:

For 23 Litres

2.5kg light DME
350g Caramalt

10g Citra @ 60
10g Citra @ 15
30g Citra @ 5
30g Citra @ dry hop

Any flameout addition? I only ask because I'm looking to try to get better at hop scheduling/combo's/flavours

You could do a flameout addition. I'm only guessing, but it will make something similar to Oakham Citra.

thanks for the ideas!

looks like plenty of citra for dry hopping :-D

i'm a big fan of oakham having spent years drinking their beers at The Brewery Tap in Peterborough, Green Devil being my favourite.....might try for a clone recipe after i've managed a decent citra !

:cheers:

Brewed this at the weekend.

Wasnt my greatest brew day, boil pot gave up on me, had to boil in a 8ltr pot!

Split the hops into three and did three boils with the dme.

Anyway its in the fv now and is smelling pretty good, will dry hop once the gravity is down, cant wait to try it! :party:

Latest posts

Back