POLL 2 - D.I.Y or Machine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.I.Y or Machine?

• D.I.Y

• Machine.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is basically the same question but i have edited it to say "if money was no object" as a lot of the answers in the other thread said "i couldn't justify spending that amount of money"

I saw this video on the forum yesterday and wondered what members would do if money was no object, would you buy a Grainfather, Braumeister or similar machine or is putting the recipe together and making the beer a labour of love?

Skip to 2:28 for the relevant part of the video.

Don't forget to vote in the poll above.

Wardy posted below - You can vote if you tap the 3 dots on the top right of the Taptalk app then tap on View Web. It opens the thread in a browser where you will see the poll.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-O0GT9XIo[/ame]

I think you can only truly answer this if you've tried both methods. I suspect the machine will make life easier, but not necessarily more enjoyable.

I suspect the machine will make life easier, but not necessarily more enjoyable.

That is one reason why i edited the original poll, if you don't think you will ever be able to afford one you are not going to put much thought into the advantage/disadvantages of owning one, i expected a lot more members to say making the beer is a labour of love and part of the fun which some did, i also thought some may look down their noses at a strangely named machine making beer.

If money was no object I would probably go down the braumeister route.

Whilst I mash and boil in one vessel now. Something that makes clean up and cooling efficient is a good thing. These are parts of brewing I dislike.

That said part of moving to all grain wasnt just to make better beer, but because I enjoyed the process. The stirring etc. I can't possibly say if this would be diminished using a braumeister but I wouldn't want it to remove too much of the personal love and labour.

Either way the end product should be the same

I can't see the poll voting on TAPATALK but I would vote machine.

I have recently come to the conclusion that going down the BM route is best for me.

I want to get into full blown AG brewing. Without being brash about it, I can afford a 20L BM. But as a professional engineer I have full researched how to make a 3 vessel system and also a BM and GF clone.

The conclusion I have come to is to make a decent copy of a GF or a BM is at least £550 not including build time. But even this is using pots & pans etc.
Plus it most likely won't be as fully complete, reliable, elegant and work as well as an off the shelf bit of kit.

Then if you want to go 3 vessel, which I seriously considered. The space you need for it is quite allot. And also it's not portable. So as myself and a few other mates are considering clubbing in for a GF or a BM and sharing it around for brew days. Then the cost of one becomes allot more reasonable.

Anyway that's my 2 pennies worth in. It's a BM for me, but only because I can afford it and I don't think I could build one as good for the money.

I can't see the poll voting on TAPATALK but I would vote machine.

I have recently come to the conclusion that going down the BM route is best for me.

I want to get into full blown AG brewing. Without being brash about it, I can afford a 20L BM. But as a professional engineer I have full researched how to make a 3 vessel system and also a BM and GF clone.

The conclusion I have come to is to make a decent copy of a GF or a BM is at least £550 not including build time. But even this is using pots & pans etc.
Plus it most likely won't be as fully complete, reliable, elegant and work as well as an off the shelf bit of kit.

Then if you want to go 3 vessel, which I seriously considered. The space you need for it is quite allot. And also it's not portable. So as myself and a few other mates are considering clubbing in for a GF or a BM and sharing it around for brew days. Then the cost of one becomes allot more reasonable.

Anyway that's my 2 pennies worth in. It's a BM for me, but only because I can afford it and I don't think I could build one as good for the money.
You can vote if you tap the 3 dots on the top right of the Taptalk app then tap on View Web. It opens the thread in a browser where you will see the poll.

I voted machine. I'm properly lazy and like the idea of just chucking the ingredients in one end and getting wort out the other with the minimal amount of fuss. Like others have said if it cleaned up, put the wort in the FV then bottled, I'd sell Er indoors on Ebay to get one

DIY for me, My plans are to go 3 vessel, with the capacity for 50 litre brews.
Course, I've got to level a bit of the garden and buy a new shed 1st, but it'll happen one day. ;-)

DIY definitely ! Otherwise why bother, you might as well just go up the shop/pub and buy it !!!!
Why? As far as I can see, I could create unique brews with my choice of yeast, grain and hops and do exactly the same in a Grainfather or BrauMeister with less hassle, less space, a happier wife and less to clean up. If the end result could never be better than a 3 vessel system and/or be more expensive than buying beer in the pub/shop then I will save loads by going manual.

Why? As far as I can see, I could create unique brews with my choice of yeast, grain and hops and do exactly the same in a Grainfather or BrauMeister with less hassle, less space, a happier wife and less to clean up. If the end result could never be better than a 3 vessel system and/or be more expensive than buying beer in the pub/shop then I will save loads by going manual.

Unless you have both systems, and do exactly the same brew in both, I think it would be really difficult to judge end results. What I do know though is that my diy set up is about £300 (maybe more) cheaper than a Grainfather, £1700 less than a Braumeister. That's an awful lot of ingredients/beer, which is what I'm after at the end of the day!

Unless you have both systems, and do exactly the same brew in both, I think it would be really difficult to judge end results. What I do know though is that my diy set up is about £300 (maybe more) cheaper than a Grainfather, £1700 less than a Braumeister. That's an awful lot of ingredients/beer, which is what I'm after at the end of the day!
If it wasn't for space and time I would buy all the separate parts. Having kids running about at weekends when I want to do a brew isn't ideal with separate parts too.. The only option for me just now is a Grainfather. I have enough to buy one now but not heard anything about the trial I am down for so I will continue saving the £50 per month and maybe end up buying a BrauMeister.

Latest posts

Back