Outdoor Gas Burner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinners

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

Contemplating getting an outdoor gas burner to speed up my boils (i'm currently using my gas stove which is max 3.3kW).

Just wondering, can anyone advise where to get cheap ring, regulator, hose, bottle and gas? Also, i'd like a safe, stable means of raising the pot off the floor for easy draining into the mash tun, can you get any kind of stand?

Go down to your local builders merchant or diy store and get what is known as a 'hop up'. It's a small strong metal table with folding legs so easy to store. One of these with a gas burner sat on top is the perfect height. Around £25
Sorry, I would post a photo if I could...

Go down to your local builders merchant or diy store and get what is known as a 'hop up'. It's a small strong metal table with folding legs so easy to store. One of these with a gas burner sat on top is the perfect height. Around £25
Sorry, I would post a photo if I could...

Thats a good idea, I too have thought about the height thing

Need quite a square one for a burner to sit on these are 400 x 400

Thats a good idea, I too have thought about the height thing

Need quite a square one for a burner to sit on these are 400 x 400

Yep, my burner is also 400x400
The table is 650x450 and 500 high plus the height of the burner at 160 so 660 high in total.
An FV is 420 high so pretty much a perfect set up.

image.jpg

For info, the burner was £19 from eBay and the gas hose and low pressure regulator were £12, also from eBay.
Your biggest outlay is likely to be the gas bottle which you 'rent' from Calor, though once you've paid the initial rental (not sure how much these days) you then just pay for a refill, ie exchange your empty one for a full one and just pay for the contents.
Worth asking around friends and neighbours to see if anyone has a spare cylinder kicking about in their shed/garage or ask your local friendly travelling folk...
Not really sure the difference between propane(red cylinder) and butane (blue cylinder). What I do know is you will end with a sooty underside of your pot !
Not done a full brew yet (that's my new shiny 50L pot ready to go) but done partial mashes in a 15L pot. 13L of cold water up to mash temp(67) in approx 10mins.
Please make sure you use it in a well ventilated space..........!

For info, the burner was £19 from eBay and the gas hose and low pressure regulator were £12, also from eBay.
Your biggest outlay is likely to be the gas bottle which you 'rent' from Calor, though once you've paid the initial rental (not sure how much these days) you then just pay for a refill, ie exchange your empty one for a full one and just pay for the contents.
Worth asking around friends and neighbours to see if anyone has a spare cylinder kicking about in their shed/garage or ask your local friendly travelling folk...
Not really sure the difference between propane(red cylinder) and butane (blue cylinder). What I do know is you will end with a sooty underside of your pot !
Not done a full brew yet (that's my new shiny 50L pot ready to go) but done partial mashes in a 15L pot. 13L of cold water up to mash temp(67) in approx 10mins.

Really nice setup there Redron, when you doing your first full length brew then ?

I've got one of those. I used it for the first time last weekend, and it heated 30 litres to mash temp very quickly (can't remember how quickly though and I didn't write it down).
If you are using it outside, bear in mind that it has to be shielded from any draughts as they blow out quite easily, at least mine did, a couple of times during the boil. I put a couple of planks around it to shield it and this cured it.

Thanks for that, I pretty much have the same setup as you... with my stout I just picked the pot up and put on my chest freeze and did it that way although I was in such a hurry that day I made a mess.. but this table system seems ideal

Really nice setup there Redron, when you doing your first full length brew then ?

If I can sort fittings for my new chiller which arrived today, it may well be this weekend, and as a nod to my home county of Yorkshire and my home town of Keighley, it will a Timothy Taylor's Landlord clone :hat:

P.s and a quick thank you to you for nudging me towards partial mashing and hence onto AG .... And Clibit as well, of course.

I did the TT landlord clone 3 weeks ago, bottling that tomorrow, will be bottling while I do my next Peco BIAB - an Apollo American Ale Mashkit from HBC.

Good luck with your brew.

Yes good luck that TT landlord seems to be very popular around here.. might have to give that a try.

Never had the original is it a bitter?

Hi brewers,

Contemplating getting an outdoor gas burner to speed up my boils (i'm currently using my gas stove which is max 3.3kW).

Just wondering, can anyone advise where to get cheap ring, regulator, hose, bottle and gas? Also, i'd like a safe, stable means of raising the pot off the floor for easy draining into the mash tun, can you get any kind of stand?

I've got a similar one to Redron but my tip is don't use it outdoors (as in the garden). Any breeze will mean it takes an eternity to get the your strike water/wort to the right temp.

My first 20L attempt with mine was a disaster. I burned the damn thing for 45 minutes and never got a boil (was an extract brew). Moved it into the shed and it was away in no time.

I've got a similar one to Redron but my tip is don't use it outdoors (as in the garden). Any breeze will mean it takes an eternity to get the your strike water/wort to the right temp.

My first 20L attempt with mine was a disaster. I burned the damn thing for 45 minutes and never got a boil (was an extract brew). Moved it into the shed and it was away in no time.

Agreed, I use mine in the shed with the doors open and a window open to create a through draught, in my last job as a fireman we called it tactical ventilation.
Also, I don't stand around in the shed whilst it's on the boil for long......

A few years ago I used to go mountain walking in the winter with mates. If it's cold, butane burners are pretty useless. Quite often had to cook breakfast on one burner of a two burner stove while the butane bottle was warming up on the other.

Agreed, I use mine in the shed with the doors open and a window open to create a through draught, in my last job as a fireman we called it tactical ventilation.
Also, I don't stand around in the shed whilst it's on the boil for long......

WHen I did mine it took a good 50 mins to get up to mash temp (it was a blowy day though).. I have a small entry with house and fence between maybe I should do it in there..

Or I was thinking of trying it in the conservatory right by the double french doors (practically outside except just over the threshold..

Yes good luck that TT landlord seems to be very popular around here.. might have to give that a try.

Never had the original is it a bitter?

No, it's a strong pale ale. TT do some cracking beer. I used to frequent a great little boozer in Keighley, West Yorks, called the 'Boltmakers Arms'. Proper pub, no juke box, no fruit machines and two coal fires even though it was only the size of two front rooms !
They had Landlord , Best Bitter (now called 'Boltmaker'), Golden Best (bit like a golden mild, very nice) and Ram Tam (more of a strong porter style).
Best part was, they were all lovely so I used to flit between them all depending on what I fancied....
Quiz night was always a laugh. The landlord as quiz master, used to get a lot of the answers wrong and no amount of objecting/arguing would change his mind much to the amusement of the clientele .
Happy days !

TT Landlord does have a subtle fruitiness to it, which I think is difficult to re-create with a sachet yeast, Brewlabs do a yeast slope with a 'Landlord profile' to it. I have used this in my Landlord clone which I kegged yesterday. Tasted scrummy from the sample I tried, can't wait for 4 weeks before giving it a proper go !

I think TT Landlord is 4.2% ABV from memory.

My clone is at 4.5% as the brewlabs yeast got things down to a 1009 final gravity.

Looking to get a larger 75 litre brew pot and gas ring so I can move out of the kitchen into my garage.
I am of to the US in a couple!e of weeks and was considering getting a Blichmann burner.
Anyone had any experience with these? I wondér if the supp!ied pipework is comparable with UK gas bottles.
Other option I have looked at are the Fokker burners from Hamilton's website.

How long do gas bottles last? I'm thinking this may be a better option than an electric boiler, and also more future proof, but if i have to fill the gas every time then it wouldnt be very economical.

Latest posts

Back