Hydrating your yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcunnell

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys - I just thought I'd throw another quick question out there before tomorrow's brew day!

I shall be pitching the packet of Safale S-04 tomorrow that came with my AG porter pack. What I am wondering is, should I simply keep the yeast at room temp, sterilize the packet and open with sterile scissors, and pour it into my cooled wort? (this is what I normally do!). Or should I mix with water (or other solution?) first?

To be honest, I am not sure I can be bothered with knocking up a yeast starter this time (what with it being my first proper AG brew I thought I'd keep it as simple as I can!). So is it okay to just chuck in the dried yeast straight from the packet?

Sorry this is probably a very basic question!!

Yes, you can of course just sprinkle the yeast and it will more than likely work. But to give your yeast the best fighting chance It's best to rehydrate it. However, having said that, I can never be bothered to reyhydrate yeast and just dry pitch about 50% more to take into account dry pitching can kill up to 50% of the cells- definatley NOT best practice but works for a lazy git

Yes, you can of course just sprinkle the yeast and it will more than likely work. But to give your yeast the best fighting chance It's best to rehydrate it. However, having said that, I can never be bothered to reyhydrate yeast and just dry pitch about 50% more to take into account dry pitching can kill up to 50% of the cells- definatley NOT best practice but works for a lazy git

Haha thanks MyQul! A man after my own heart! I am all for paying attention to detail and going the extra mile if it means better brews, But to be honest, when it comes to pitching the yeat I can't help thinking that I'll happily take my chances by chucking in the dry stuff!

Haha thanks MyQul! A man after my own heart! I am all for paying attention to detail and going the extra mile if it means better brews, But to be honest, when it comes to pitching the yeat I can't help thinking that I'll happily take my chances by chucking in the dry stuff!

Make sure you aerate your wort well if you intend dry pitching because as I mention Idry pitching can kill up to 50% of the yeast and then you'll end up with a stuck brew. I've found by aerating well by putting some wort (or dilution water) in a 5L plastic jerry can and shaking the bejesus out of it then whisking the full 23L this really aid's the yeast in overcoming being dry pitched

Latest posts

Back