My first turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freeflow

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm very new to all this though last year after finding some old demijohns in the garage I did brew up some mead which is just getting very drinkable now.
After stumbling across a couple of videos on YouTube I thought I'd have a crack at some turbo cider, using what I already had in my brewing tub.

I used 4.5 litres of sainsbury apple juice
Teaspoon of Young's super wine yeast (as per the video)
Teaspoon of yeast nutrient
About 250g of brewers sugar that I had leftover.

It's fizzing away well at the moment, though looking at some of the posts here it seems I could have done without the extra sugar. Am I likely to end up with some foul tasting rocket fuel??

Last edited:
I don't think it will be foul tasting and rocket fuel depends on your definition. At a rough guess I'd say it's going to be over 8%.

People normally put some strong tea in turbo cider as apple juice apparently doesn't contain tannin whereas cider apples do. Probably not too late to stick 1/2 a cup in.

I'd be interested in how it turns out if you don't as I was actually thinking about making two batches - one with and one without tea, to see if I could tell the difference and if it was actually better.

Obviously not a turbo cider but similar and I think better most recipes are 800g of sugar not including the juice check out chippys thread its a good one http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

The recipes at the start of the the thread use (a lot) less than 4.5 litres of juice so the fermentable is made up with sugar. If you used 4.5 litres of juice AND 800g of sugar you'd be well into wine territory.

Using just apple/fruit juice alone will give you around 6% ABV.

That is true juice alone is around 6% they say once you hit 7-8 % its actually classed as wine, I do the wows as they are quick, something to drink while my ale and lager condition

Back