Elderflowers in beer!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechwood

Regular.
Reaction score
Whens the best time to add elderflowers to a brew?? I was thinking somewhere between the last 5-0 mins of the boil.
I'm hoping to make a 10lt batch of darker bitter soon and wanted to add some elderflowers. I was also thinking if its a bitter then I may have to back off slightly on the hops so it doesn't cover up the flavour of the elderflowers....?...?...:electric:

Also........how much shall I add to 10lts about 10 heads??:wha:

I've brewed Festival kits Summer Glory, a golden ale with elderflower and they add dried elder flowers at yeast pitching once the wort is cool and this works well for giving a subtle background aroma. I'm far from experienced in this but I imagine boiling would destroy the aroma.

Brewers who add fresh elder flowers rather than dried tend to add them for the last few minutes of the boil, or just after switching the heat off, to avoid infection from the flowers, I believe. I would do the latter, leave them to steep, and then cool. You need to just use the flowers, not the stalks, I believe the stalks contain some kind of poison?! Loads of people use elderflower in beer and wine, so the danger can't be that great I guess.

Latest posts

Back