Bottle Conditioned Beer List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, only really worth it if you're desperate to try the ESB. As much as I love Cloudwater, and as much as I'm prepared to drop good money for good beer, their 750ml prices are prohibitive for me.

As an aside, all of the Weird Beard beers I've had come with a ****-tonne of yeast in the bottles. Had a bottle of their 'A Lemon Tree My Dear Watson' tonight and about an eighth of the bottle was cake! The 'No More Bright Ideas' was the same. They just seemingly dump everything from the FV straight into the bottle :D

Yeah, only really worth it if you're desperate to try the ESB. As much as I love Cloudwater, and as much as I'm prepared to drop good money for good beer, their 750ml prices are prohibitive for me.

As an aside, all of the Weird Beard beers I've had come with a ****-tonne of yeast in the bottles. Had a bottle of their 'A Lemon Tree My Dear Watson' tonight and about an eighth of the bottle was cake! The 'No More Bright Ideas' was the same. They just seemingly dump everything from the FV straight into the bottle :D

Wonder what yeasts they use. Anything interesting do you know?

Anyone know anything about the yeast in Little Valley Brewery beers? I've got a bottle of their Vanilla Porter to have tonight and it says it's bottle conditioned. Worth keeping or not?

Anyone know anything about the yeast in Little Valley Brewery beers? I've got a bottle of their Vanilla Porter to have tonight and it says it's bottle conditioned. Worth keeping or not?

Never heard of the brewery myself but you could always fire off a quick email to ask them what yeast they use and it's history Yeast strains often move from brewery to brewery with the head brewer. Or it could be from a yeast lab or even just a dried strain

Never heard of the brewery myself but you could always fire off a quick email to ask them what yeast they use and it's history Yeast strains often move from brewery to brewery with the head brewer. Or it could be from a yeast lab or even just a dried strain

I'll give them a holler.

I really enjoyed drinking Chimay Blue when in Belgium some time back although at 9% you only have a few! It's in our list here (in the OP) and Chimay site says its naturally conditioned. Tesco apparently sell it (although I've yet to try them) but has anyone tried to culture the yeast from it?

I really enjoyed drinking Chimay Blue when in Belgium some time back although at 9% you only have a few! It's in our list here (in the OP) and Chimay site says its naturally conditioned. Tesco apparently sell it (although I've yet to try them) but has anyone tried to culture the yeast from it?

I haven't tried culturing it, but it is the primary strain. You'd be better culturing from the Red or even better the Gold if you can get it. The lower abv means the yeast would be in better condition.

I was mooching around on the web yesterday, reading about English yeast strains and discovered that although Fullers bought the Gales brewery, for Gales HSB they still use the Gales yeast strain and the bottled beer is bottle conditioned.
I often look what my local ASDA has in stock on the ale aisle and I was sure I'd seen HSB there. Sure enough it had it in stock when I went to the supermarket today, so I picked up a bottle and it says bottle conditioned on the label
BYOBRA has three Gales reciepes (Bitter, Mild and HSB) so I might have a go at culturing up the yeast and brewing one or more of the reciepes. I'm quite pleased to have a strain from a now defunct brewery

I was mooching around on the web yesterday, reading about English yeast strains and discovered that although Fullers bought the Gales brewery, for Gales HSB they still use the Gales yeast strain and the bottled beer is bottle conditioned.
I often look what my local ASDA has in stock on the ale aisle and I was sure I'd seen HSB there. Sure enough it had it in stock when I went to the supermarket today, so I picked up a bottle and it says bottle conditioned on the label
BYOBRA has three Gales reciepes (Bitter, Mild and HSB) so I might have a go at culturing up the yeast and brewing one or more of the reciepes. I'm quite pleased to have a strain from a now defunct brewery
Gales HSB was a mighty fine pint way back when

Marstons Pedigree now comes naturally bottle conditioned.
120081011_0_640x640.jpg

How many of these yeasts are just bottling strains? I'd heard a podcast recently saying the Sierra Nevada yeast was not the primary fermentation strain.

How many of these yeasts are just bottling strains? I'd heard a podcast recently saying the Sierra Nevada yeast was not the primary fermentation strain.

That's interesting, first I've heard that. Do you mind if I ask the source? In any case, I personally don't think SNPA is worth culturing when you can buy it as US05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, all of which will be in better condition than the stuff in the bottle.

That's interesting, first I've heard that. Do you mind if I ask the source? In any case, I personally don't think SNPA is worth culturing when you can buy it as US05, WLP001, or Wyeast 1056, all of which will be in better condition than the stuff in the bottle.

It's also the first I've heard of that too. I was under the impression it was the chico strain.

As far as bothering to culture it up, it cost a lot less than £7 to do it and your creating new cells when your culturing it up, so unless what's in the bottle is seriously mutated, I think it's worth doing.

Latest posts

Back