New Shiny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to pension off my mash tun after 30 years stellar service. Nothing really wrong with it but it is a plastic FV and I was starting to get worried the plastic may have degraded over time.

So I raided the piggy bank and went over to the Malt Miller this morning and picked up one of these:

DSCF6377.jpg

It is the 10 us gallon version which is pretty compact. Quality is superb.
Will need to sort out the correct strike temperature as I had the old one down to a fine art :)

Well gave this a bit of a workout over the weekend.
I must admit I thought it may just be an expensive gimmick but it is worth every penny.
The increased size (over original mash tun) made it so much easier to mix the malt in.
Plus it only lost 0.5c over 90 miins.

Ok things I need to take on board:
Up strike temp to 72c
DigitL temp gauge takes a while to settle down:
Central drain means a few bits of malt get through. Solved with addition of kitchen sieve.
Not as much wort left as previous mash tun.

Used my rotating spArge arm as gravity feed did not have enough head for the SS one and couldn't be bothered to set up pump.

So was it worth the money?

YES

Looks ace! Glad it went well. 😎🍻

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well gave this a bit of a workout over the weekend.
I must admit I thought it may just be an expensive gimmick but it is worth every penny.
The increased size (over original mash tun) made it so much easier to mix the malt in.
Plus it only lost 0.5c over 90 miins.

Ok things I need to take on board:
Up strike temp to 72c
DigitL temp gauge takes a while to settle down:
Central drain means a few bits of malt get through. Solved with addition of kitchen sieve.
Not as much wort left as previous mash tun.

Used my rotating spArge arm as gravity feed did not have enough head for the SS one and couldn't be bothered to set up pump.

So was it worth the money?

YES
Glad to hear your happy with your new toy, is it as easy to clean as previous setup tho

Back