Brew fridge not cooling below 7 degrees.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
My trusty old brewfridge has now decided its not going to cool down below about 7 degrees anymore, it used fine, just decided its not going to bother anymore! It holds 18/22 for fermenting really well.
Any fixes for it?

Probably just needs regassing - is it running, but not cooling any further? If it stops running before it gets down to temperature it is the thermostat, in which case you bypass it and control with an STC1000 or such.

Probably just needs regassing - is it running, but not cooling any further? If it stops running before it gets down to temperature it is the thermostat, in which case you bypass it and control with an STC1000 or such.

Yes it is running perfectly other than not reaching the lower temps.
How do I re gass it?

Yes it is running perfectly other than not reaching the lower temps.
How do I re gass it?
Probably by calling out a fridge repair company. :-?
They have the kit and the right sort of refrigerant gas to do it.
Thing is if it's lost refrigerant gas there is likely to be a tiny leak somewhere.
I had a fridge regassed some time back and it was OK for a while but then didn't do the job properly. So lesson learned there for me.
Fridges are supposed to last a 'lifetime' without needing a regas. My old Mum had a fridge which was over 30 years old and still going strong before it was taken away by the house clearance people.
I've just bought myself a nearly new larder fridge off Gumtree for £20, although I saw it running before I handed over the cash.

Probably by calling out a fridge repair company. :-?
They have the kit and the right sort of refrigerant gas to do it.
Thing is if it's lost refrigerant gas there is likely to be a tiny leak somewhere.
I had a fridge regassed some time back and it was OK for a while but then didn't do the job properly. So lesson learned there for me.
Fridges are supposed to last a 'lifetime' without needing a regas. My old Mum had a fridge which was over 30 years old and still going strong before it was taken away by the house clearance people.
I've just bought myself a nearly new larder fridge off Gumtree for �£20, although I saw it running before I handed over the cash.

Ok, I was wondering if it was something I could do at home. No worries, I think it'll be cheaper for me to buy another one off of Gumtree for £20 then.

Yeah, go the gumtree route - by the time you buy the dye, etc. to track down the leak (and it might just be seals,) you are probably better off to donate it to a charity and buy another.

Latest posts

Back