Electric Stainless Brew Kettle build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
I solved a leaky tap by cutting two sealing washers from a silicon cake "tin". Worked a treat!

Yes that will be my next go to if the parts I have coming aren't a better fit.

SWMBO bakes so little I'm not sure she would notice if one ended up with a hole in it :-)

Your recirculating mash tun is fantastic. Would you mine starting a thread about it when you have some time. Looks like a really top quality build. :hat:

Yeah sure, I'll do a build thread. I'm still tweaking it a bit coz I was having trouble with air locks. I'm doing a brew later today so I'll get some better photos and videos. I've also made a new HLT with pump which drives a sparge arm.

So the brew went pretty successfully on Saturday. The new kettle was fantastic, no issues to report. I set the temperature to 100.5*C which produced a nice steady rolling boil. To be honest, with the lid removed the controller output was pretty much solid ON to maintain the temperature. But with the lid on the controller worked really nicely at controlling the temperature/boil.

On this topic, what are peoples opnions on having a lid on the boil? I've read it can cause Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS) flavours. I had a 4" hole in the lid of my previous boiler. This one I have the lid open a crack due to the hop spider handle, is this enough or do i need to remove the lid or have a hole?

The bulkhead adapter was great, nice and robust and no leaks!

IMG_20170513_140932245_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170513_162346638.jpg

On this topic, what are peoples opnions on having a lid on the boil? I've read it can cause Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS) flavours. I had a 4" hole in the lid of my previous boiler. This one I have the lid open a crack due to the hop spider handle, is this enough or do i need to remove the lid or have a hole?

Personally I leave the lid on whilst coming to a boil, or when the temperature drops when I put my immersion chiller in (I put the lid on for 5 mins at this point to allow the temp to rise again).

At all other times I leave the lid completely off to allow the volatile compounds to evaporate.

I've never had any issues with DMS, I may never have them even if I left the lid on or had a partially covered pot but I've always boiled uncovered so don't want to take the risk!

nice job, i would suggest you consider adding a heatsink to the SSR employed however. encapsulating it within a box gives the heat produced little route of escape. fwiw i recorded temps over 60C 2 vanes down on an external heatsink sat under a 40A ssr switching 3kw.

I meant to borrow a proper thermocouple and multimeter from work to check the SSR temperature but I forgot. However I left my temperature probe directly under the box where the SSR is screwed down and it only reached 35*C during the boil so the box seems to be working well as a heatsink. It only slightly felt warm to touch so shouldn't cause any issues.

IMG_20170513_151957592.jpg

Set up looks ace! 😉🖒

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bought one of the bulkhead fittings off DrewsBrew, quality piece of kit. Very well machined and looks like it will do the job very well :D

They should be available commercially ! :)

Latest posts

Back