Importing from China

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the need for a seal? if its for pressure driven transfer i dont think stockpots can be modded that way, however if its only for a blow off tube or airlock then a simple wrap of poormans parafilm tape (ptfe) tight over the lid/pot jucntion should suffice, it works for the distillers ;)

While I have not used it for this purpose myself, i have used it to seal the diy yeast test plates i made which maintained sterility with no microlife growth on the agar/malt medium after 12months @ room temp.. just a shame im so ham fisted and tear up the medium when attempting to streak them ;(

That's a really good suggestion and I can't quite believe I didn't think of it. I spent some time looking for large silicone gaskets and stock pots with lid clamps. Both do exist but I couldn't find an consumer retailer cheaper than the Italian one.

Oh well, I think the Italian one is on order now but if I want to get a second stainless FV in the future then I'll just bodge it with PTFE tape.

I started off down this route and was looking at converting a stock pot into a fermentation vessel but I couldn't find a way to create an air tight seal. At least not at a reasonable cost.

I know many people don't place too much wright behind having a sealed FV but if I'm going down the stainless steel route then I want something that seals.

My fermenter is a SS pot and tap from angelhomebrew.....No seal, just the lid; It goes into the temp cont fridge and left for 2 weeks without any fiddling- not lost a brew yet to it..... the fridge seals seem to do all the sealing i need.

While I have not used it for this purpose myself, i have used it to seal the diy yeast test plates i made which maintained sterility with no microlife growth on the agar/malt medium after 12months @ room temp.. just a shame im so ham fisted and tear up the medium when attempting to streak them ;(
'Kin 'ell.
It's straightforward home brewing some of us do, not research at Porton Down.

Depends on the seller. Some just refund your money and let you dispose of the old one. Some send you a new one. Others make you take it to the post and then try to reburse the shipping fee. Never seen it come back. So I wait a long time to review my sellers.

Back