Water Quality

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisA

Reaction score
Hello I just wanted to ask a quick question about my water quality. I remember the Moley wisdom of "If it’s drinkable then it’s probably ok to brew with" however my water is very hard and I’m planning to do some large scale (for me :cool: ) fermenting next month and don’t want to make toilet water :lol:

According to Anglian water:

Drinking water quality in this supply zone is excellent

very hard water hardness
355 calcium carbonate (mg/l)
142 calcium (mg/l)
24.708 degrees Clark
35.5 degrees French (°f)
20.164 degrees German (°dH)
3.55 millimoles (mmol/l)

Not Florinated
Not Chloraminated

The average concentration of chlorine in this supply zone was 0.38 mg/l free chlorine and 0.460 mg/l total chlorine.

There is a huge lot of information but I think this is the main bits (I can find out extra if need be :D ) . Thanks in advanced guys :D

I live in a very hard water area and have alwasy used either bottled water or boiled cooled water on advice from an experienced local brewer

If it's the chlorine you're worried about, leave the water in an open container & it will evaporate over a couple of days.
We used to keep fish & fish don't like chlorine. ;)

bluebell said:
I live in a very hard water area and have alwasy used either bottled water or boiled cooled water on advice from an experienced local brewer

Cheers :) This is going to sound like a stupid question but when you say boiled cooled water, do you mean water that you have got from your tap boiled an then let cool?

muddy90 said:
If it's the chlorine you're worried about, leave the water in an open container & it will evaporate over a couple of days.

I was worried about my water in general :) But thanks for the advice ill bear that in mind and follow that :thumb:

muddy90 said:
We used to keep fish & fish don't like chlorine. ;)

Yeah I can imagine :lol:

I get Thames water and was worried when I got the analysis, so I bought a simple jug filter for drinking, beverages and cooking and it definitely improves taste. When the goverment tendered for water privitisation, nobody was interested, so the expected water quality standards were drastically reduced! But for brewing, I just use tap water straight. By the time it's fermented and fined, the only toxin to worry about is the alcohol! However, if you want to be fussy, order distilled water from your local chemist in 5 litre batches. It's the cheapest source.

Back