wow wont start

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian...

Reaction score
Hi Folks

My wow wont start after 48 hrs at 20c. I used 1ltr of red grape juice, 1ltr of cranberry and raspberry, 800g of white granulated sugar, 1 tsp yeast, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, and 1 tsp pectolase. This is my first attempt. Any ideas?
many thanks.

Give it a gentle stir and leave it another day in the warmth.

Yeast's no good or your airlock isn't fitted properly.

What is this in, bucket or big bottle of some sort?

The airlock is good an tight and I'm using a plastic 1gal DJ

Is it just the (lack of) airlock activity that has you thinking it's not started yet? Particularly in a plastic DJ they're not always reliable. Check for tiny bubbles around the top of the brew, it might just be going very slowly. If there are bubbles, try adding a small amount of quite warm water (not too hot, just a little extra heat for the brew) - this sped mine up loads. Or set the DJ in a large saucepan of warm water. If that doesn't work, make a yeast starter with warm fruit juice or sugar water and add that when it's frothy.

The easiest test to confirm yeast activity is to drop a quarter teaspoon of granulated sugar in.
If the yeast is working, the CO2 will nucleate on the sugar and you will see bubbles.

Thanks for your help folks.
There are no bubbles or foaming. I'll try all those suggestions and see what happens.
Much appreciated.

Tried the sugar trick.. yep loads of fizz came up put it in a bowl of hot water and within half an hour it was chugging away

thanks folks

I thought i had the same problem but i just left it a few days and off it went. Nothing like the orange wow, i think cranberry needs a while to get going..
lots of bubble in my glass dj, airlock activity is a bit slow but im in no rush.

Latest posts

Back