Malt Miller - which 25kg bag of pale malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the cheaper one and it's absolutely fine as far as I know, beer tastes great anyway!

Though I've not tried the more expensive to compare against

Edit: It's the Crisp Maris Otter i use not the pale

I use his Crisp MO. It's ace. I'm local so just get recipes milled, but for the extra quid and a half over the flagon it's the way forward! :thumb:

I'll give the cheaper one a shot then. Most of the beers that I make are quite strongly hopped or use dark malts so I suppose that it will make very little difference and every penny counts these days. Thanks.

I have used it as well for my last 4 or 5 brews and like it. I used to used Warminster and its different, but not a bad different :thumb:

Crisps for me better conversion and just a great malt cheaper too. I get about 85% conversion using crisps and an overnight mash. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Crisps for me better conversion and just a great malt cheaper too. I get about 85% conversion using crisps and an overnight mash. :thumb:
Good to know. I've finally got around to insulating the lid of my coolbox mashtun so may have to try an overnight mash one day.

i would vouch for it, for maris otter its still incredibly consistent and defo the way forward if want a nice basic malt with fantastic conversion
- might not be so good for a SMASH recipe but bairds malt while smidge maltier for my money(same price point but max grainbill not convertible is 20%) is less diastatic -which says it all really for efficency
certainly not gonna give u any problems

wilsoa1111 said:
might not be so good for a SMASH recipe

That really depends on what you want from your SMASH. My AG#2 was a SMATH (triple hop) with crisp MO and three hops each for a different stage.

It is lovely. The MO is super smooth and gives just enough body but stays nicely in the background and really lets the hops take the limelight.

I've used Fawcetts Malts and Crisps Malts, currently going through the remains of a sack of Crisps Pale Ale Malt, honestly couldn't tell any difference between the two, both performed well, the Crisps Pale Ale malt has produced some reall nice ales as well :thumb: can recommend any of them, all bought through The Malt Miller :thumb:

I guess i'm the odd 1 here , i use dingemans pale ale malt , it's a belgian grain and as i do hefes and wits a lot i try and go with authentic grains , i also only use german or belgian wheat because i have brewed with english and it was a poor 2nd so that made me buy all german or belgian only .

im considering getting a 25kg sack of grain,
and was wondering about how it comes, i presume its in a poly bag rather than a sack,
will it be milled and how long will it keep for..?

what else should i order in bulk, if im doing pale ale and light bitter beers...?

it looks like this brewing bug has bitten... :party:

Hi , yes a sack a plastic tight woven type , your grain will come milled unless you request it not to be and it will keep a good time easily 6 plus months and i would say more like 12+ months if keep cool and dry in a dark place (normal for food stuffs etc) . You may want 1kg and 500g bags of specialty malts like chocolate , wheat , crystal etc as these are used for colour and flavouring while the base malt is the backbone of your beer .

artyb said:
im considering getting a 25kg sack of grain,
and was wondering about how it comes, i presume its in a poly bag rather than a sack,

I buy all mine from Rob, The Malt Miller, It comes in a polypropelyne close woven sack or some similar material. Smaller amounts of grain come in heavy gauge plastic bags.

will it be milled and how long will it keep for..?

Yes, its milled, unless you ask for unmilled, I keep mine in the sack as delivered, put into a large bin with a lid, kept cool and dry it lasts for months (the last bit of the last sack I had must've been 6 months old, the beer was still very good.

what else should i order in bulk, if im doing pale ale and light bitter beers...?

I usally order an odd kg of crystal malt/munich/torrerfied wheat as well as an assortment of hops and yeasts

it looks like this brewing bug has bitten... :party:

I use Fawcetts and have no problems with it at all! Gone through 75kg in the last 6 months and had some fantastic brews!

Over the years I've used Fawcetts, Muntons, Tuckers and Warminster and maybe a few more I can't think of at the moment but have only being using Crisps since Rob started to sell it. Apart from being the cheapest I find as good if not better than all the others.

I have tried the Fawcetts and the Crisp malts and could not detect any difference. However the last bag I bought was the Dingemans Pale and I have found the beers to have a more malty character. Maybe I am getting better at brewing or maybe it is the malt - who knows? But at £28 I would buy it over the Fawcetts every time.

Back