any reason to worry??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loverlovell-08

Reaction score
Hey guys just finished my first extract brew! Quite a bit of a drama lastnyt as the pot boiled over twice... Ahwell! Not a total mess! I do have two issues tho, the wort was rather too warm when it came to pitching the yeast, the bottom was in the 30s C but the top of the fermenter was abwt 26C, as I didn't want to risk getting it infected I pitched it at this temp, the fermenter is nw at 15 C bang on nw, but was this way to high and might It ruin the batch? Also I noticed some of the hops managed to get through the strainer into the brew and are floating on top, is this an issue? Any help appreciated thanks!
Alex

As the wort was cooling when you pitched the yeast it will be OK :thumb:
For future reference the yeast should be pitch at about 25C then allowed to cool to fermenting temperature :)
The hops that made it through into the FV won't be a problem either as they will either become trapped with the yeast sediment or you can leave them behind in the FV when you transfer your beer :thumb:
What yeast are you using to ferment with? As 15C is rather cool for fermenting with an ale yeast, if it is an ale yeast try to get the temperature between 18 to 22 C :thumb:

Thank christ for that! Lol thankyou Tubby_shaw, its lager yeast I'm using, not that aley-lagerey yeast lol thanks again for the advice!
Alex

Back