Nelson sauvin!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simmoart

Reaction score
Can not find any of these hops any where! Want to do a Punk IPA clone, was going to order from Malt miller but I have loads of base malt to use up!

Anyone know where to get it from...?

Everywhere seems to have suddenly sold out. They are a limited supply hop though. Someone may know of somewhere.

However, the hops in Punk have evolved over the years according to supply. There 5 hops in it, Chinook, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin, so you can get close without one of them, I'm sure. And the Maltmiller recipe only has 4 anyway! It doesn't have Amarillo, and I suspect Amarillo is more crucial than Nelson. If you just used Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo you could get a similar beer I reckon, with the right amount of hops at the right sort of times. It would make a great IPA whatever, Simcoe and Amarillo is a brilliant combination.

cheers ! Have you brewed the recipe before ? If so do you know the hop addition schedule?

I've done various recipes. Which hops you fancy using?

You could do the Maltmiller recipe but replace Nelson with Amarillo:

5.00 kg Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)
50.00 g Chinook [13.40 %] - Boil 12.0 min
16.00 g Ahtanum [5.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
16.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
16.00 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
16.00 g Ahtanum [5.30 %] Steep 0 min
16.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.20 %] Steep 0 min
16.00 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Steep 0 min
16.00 g Ahtanum [5.30 %] - Dry Hop 3-5 days
16.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.20 %] - Dry Hop 3-5 days
16.00 g Simcoe [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 3-5 days

I agree that it's the Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo that are the more important hops, especially the Simcoe (which is pretty dominant, I think)

I suspect that replacing the Nelson with the Amarillo would improve it. I think the Amarillo will add a kind of fruitiness that the Nelson won't. Amarillo and Simcoe are both amazing hops, they are both excellent for single hop brews and complement each other really well. That's why they are expensive and hard to get, often. Nelson is fantastic too, but I would use either Nelson and Amarillo or Simcoe and Amarillo myself. Chinook adds another layer, a deep grapefruity bitterness. It's also good for aroma. It may be worth using some late/dry as well as for bitterness. I've never used Ahtanum.

Keep it simple...

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.62 %
Bitterness (IBU): 41.3
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

5 kg Maris Otter Malt (93%)
0.375 kg Crystal 60 (7%)

10.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Leaf (8.9% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Simcoe Leaf (13.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)

5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented with Safale US-05

Not sure if there is still a general shortage, but geterbrewed.com have got Nelson Sauvin in stock, plus they have 10% off of hops at the moment, plus the 5% HBF discount! Ordered some for an all Nelson pale ale.

and it's well stocked by those ebayers? Nelson sauvin is really unstable, if it's old and badly stocked it will give to beer a **** taste...
A few hop varieties can give cat **** taste to some people . If used correctly its not a problem [emoji106] .

and it's well stocked by those ebayers? Nelson sauvin is really unstable, if it's old and badly stocked it will give to beer a **** taste...
A few hop citrus hop varieties can give a cat **** taste to some people . If used correctly its not a problem [emoji106] .

Back