First AG on monday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poshlloyd

Reaction score
Built all my kit now.
Igloo mash tun
Buffalo boiler 40 l as HLT and Copper.

Just waiting for my hops to arrive Monday, then I'll start with my first AG brew.

I'm going for a strong U.S. IPA
Following this recipe :

Yield 23l

5.9kg Marris Otter
(Hops all in oz)
.75 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes)
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
Irish Moss ( 1 tsp with 15 minutes left in the boil)
Nottingham dry yeast 11g (maybe 2 packets, so 22g)

Can't wait to give it a go!

Good luck!

My first was chaos. There seems to be so much to think about. It gets a lot easier.

I am on AG brew number 8 now and it's a lot less stressful!

Thanks.
It will be a learning experience, that will hopefully end up with drinkable beer!

God luck with your brew.
If yo haven't already make a list of ingredients and the planned brew schedule and cross things off as you go. It is really easy to forget something along the way and it is usually too late by the time you notice.
How do I know, 25 brews and I still forgot to add the Irish moss 😡. And it was on my list.😀

Thanks.
It will be a learning experience, that will hopefully end up with drinkable beer!

You almost certainly will end up with a nice beer. I have only done two AG brews. The first was chaotic and I made some mistakes. The second was far better - no comparison.

The best thing I did between Brew 1 and 2 was buy a nylon bag for brew in the bag. Very slightly different than just tipping all the grain into the pan, but FAR easier to manage. I made next to no mess the second time. First time I had drips of sticky wort all over. :)

Back