Minstrel & Phoenix hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMullan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening Brewers!
Has anyone tried Minstrel & Phoenix hops? Not necessarily together. I haven't, but will be getting some soon. The Phoenix is going to go in a stout with some black treacle. The Minstrel I'll use to single hop a pale to assess. Any comments on these hops?
:cheers:

Not used either. Minstrel sounds like it might be interesting.

Will do. Minstrel does sound interesting... Spiced berries with orange citrus. Phoenix sounds odd, but might suit a big stout? I'll post recipes when I have them sorted :drink:

I was hoping to get some Jester too. There was one public supplier in the UK, but when I saw the price they wanted, I closed the browser!

M&S are selling a relabelled version of this, if you have one close.

Fortunately an Adnams shop is closer! Though I have noticed that M&S are doing quite a few of their beers. Tried the Jester over the weekend at a beer festival, it was ok, although flat festival beer isn't always the best example. Still give a couple of bottles a try I think.

Evening Brewers!
Has anyone tried Minstrel & Phoenix hops? Not necessarily together. I haven't, but will be getting some soon. The Phoenix is going to go in a stout with some black treacle. The Minstrel I'll use to single hop a pale to assess. Any comments on these hops?
:cheers:

I used Phoenix as a bittering and a late addition in a pimped up Youngs Harvest Barley Wine; basically the kit plus a Golden Promise minimash and some soft brown sugar. The whole thing worked really well; I can post the whole recipe later in the week if you want.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

I used Phoenix as a bittering and a late addition in a pimped up Youngs Harvest Barley Wine; basically the kit plus a Golden Promise minimash and some soft brown sugar. The whole thing worked really well; I can post the whole recipe later in the week if you want.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Sounds good, Louis. I'm planning to make a stout with Pheonix next week, but I'll have plenty of the hops left to play with :cheers:

Sounds good, Louis. I'm planning to make a stout with Pheonix next week, but I'll have plenty of the hops left to play with :cheers:
Oh and I used White Labs Dry English Ale yest (WLP007); which despite its name is a liquid yeast. It was the fourth generation of slurry I ptiched onto: the other three being in order English Pale, hoppy American style pale and an ESB. All of which means it was about £1.50 per batch on yeast.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Latest posts

Back