Thoughts on these hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm placing an order with the local brewery next week, going to get 100g of each of these hops but not really used them before. They will mainly be used in pale ales, or APAs, I like a nice light beer that is really hoppy. Not sure how/if I will blend them or maybe just make some SMaSHs with them.

To purchase:
Apollo
Archer
Hallertau
Phoenix
Cluster
Boadicea
Motueka

Already have:
Crystal
Kazbek (about 70g)
Centennial (about 50g)
Citra (about 40g)

I'd love to make a APA with a really punchy citrus hop aroma, so would probably use the Citra and Crystal in large quantities to dry hop, maybe using the Centennial as the bittering addition.

I was also looking at hop bursting, maybe with the Hallertau where I add all my hop additions in the last 20-30 minutes.

I did use to get other varieties from there such as Challenger and Chinook, but it seems as though they are not selling them anymore, which is disappointing as they are really cheap from there.

The hops suited to very hoppy ales and hop bursting are Apollo, Cluster, Motueka, Centennial and Citra, which are all great hops. Crystal will complement them well.

The others are mild English and European hops, not suited to hop bursting etc, suited to English ales and lagers ( Hallertau and Kazbek).

Thanks, I'm still learning what different hops bring to a recipe, it's slightly annoying as none of the sites I've found list all of those hops, so I have to keep going t odifferent sites to get the info (first world problems I know!)

Will have to spend some time on Beersmith to work out some recipes. I would love to make a Ghost ship type ale but Adnams do not give much away on their website as to what hos are used, only mentioning Citra.

This Ghost Ship recipe was posted elsewhere by an experienced home brewer who says it was really close, but that using yeast cultured from an Adnams mini keg was crucial.

3.750 kg Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.9 EBC) Grain 1 79.8 %
0.500 kg Crystal Rye Malt (150.0 EBC) Grain 2 10.6 %
0.250 kg Caramalt (30.0 EBC) Grain 3 5.3 %
0.200 kg Munich Malt (15.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 %

10.00 g Chinook [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 13.7 IBUs
0.50 tsp Protafloc (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
25.00 g Citra Pellets [12.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.9 IBUs
25.00 g Citra Pellets [12.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 6.6 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [13.70 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Adnams [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
20.00 g Citra Pellets [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Thanks, I had seen that recipe over at Jims but not got round to it yet. Definitely going to give it a go before too long, probably November as my BIL always gets me a keg of Ghost Ship for my birthday.

Will give me plenty of time to work out how to make a starter from the yeast in the cask.

I'm making a stout with Phoenix this weekend. It sounds great for that, I think. Hallertau I often use in Kolsch, which is great. The only other hop I have on your list is Boadicea, which I haven't used yet, but will for a nice (hopefully) pale ale.

I found this regarding Ghost Ship. Lovely pint
"The final concept for Ghost Ship would be for a beer light in colour but with a little more sweetness and body from the addition of some caramalt and some rye to our pale ale malt. The Citra hops were complemented by a few other varieties, including Columbus and Centennial, but all the dry hops were Citra."
http://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20140311_2

This recipe for Ghost Ship, apparently from the mouth of the brewer, has been posted on JBK...

Brew Length: 23L
Style: American Pale Ale
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 45
EBC: 20

Malt:

4.37Kg Maris Otter (95%)
115g Rye Crystal (2.5%)
115g Caramalt (2.5%)

Hops:

20g Columbus 16.7% AA @ 90 mins
40g Cascade 8% AA @ 10 Mins
20g Cascade 8% AA @ Flameout
20g Citra 14% AA @ Flameout
40g Citra 14% AA Dry Hop

Adnams have listed other ingredients on their website, so I guess it varies a bit. When I make pale hoppy beers I don't look to copy a commercial beer, I just use malts to create a malt profile, having tried out lots of malt types over the last few years, and add hops that I either know or that I want to experiment with. I know what a lot of hops are like now, but I still hate plenty to try out.

I love both caramalt and Crystal rye in a pale beer, so this looks a great malt mix to me. And using Columbus at the start of the boil, followed by Cascade, and Citra on the end makes great use of three great hops, I think.

I've never had Ghost Ship!

Back