Used HDPE barrel safe for fermentation bucket?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondratem

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on brewing a huge batch of beer for my wedding next year. I only really have the gear to brew normal sized batches, so I'm trying to scale up as cheaply as possible. I've been looking around for a fermenter which can hold a significant amount of beer and came across this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-220-L...087006?hash=item3abc2bc01e:g:2hEAAOxy1RZSVpiI

It says they've been used for food storage and some people have bought them for homebrewing. They're only a tenner, so they seem to fit the bill perfectly, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them?

Can I just wash them out and use them straight away?

Any precautions I'd need to take while cleaning them?

Thanks!

James

I haven't used them but have seen the blue ones discussed in the forum, they will do the job.

Polyethylene (High Density) HDPE

APPLICATIONS
Chemical drums, jerricans, carboys, toys, picnic ware, household and kitchenware, cable insulation, carrier bags, food wrapping material.

PROPERTIES
Flexible, translucent/waxy, weatherproof, good low temperature toughness (to -60'C), easy to process by most methods, low cost, good chemical resistance.

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
Tensile Strength 0.20 - 0.40 N/mm²
Notched Impact Strength no break Kj/m²
Thermal Coefficient of expansion 100 - 220 x 10-6
Max Cont Use Temp 65 oC
Density 0.944 - 0.965 g/cm3

RESISTANCE TO CHEMICALS
Dilute Acid ****
Dilute Alkalis ****
Oils and Greases ** variable
Aliphatic Hydrocarbons *
Aromatic Hydrocarbons *
Halogenated Hydrocarbons *
Alcohols ****

KEY * poor ** moderate *** good **** very good

Thanks dude, sounds good!

I know that HDPE is pretty commonly used in exactly these kinds of application, but given that these are used (for olives) I wasn't sure how easy they would be to clean and prepare for re-use. I've seen some mixed stuff on the internet about how suitable second hand containers are for brewing and I don't want to brew 150 litres of beer that tastes like a mezze platter!

I guess I just fill it with a good amount of FiveStar PBW or similar cleaner/sanitiser and hope it comes out smelling of nothing.

James

When I started home brewing over 45 years ago there was no such thing as a home brew 'fermenting vessel' so I used an orange plastic dustbin, which lasted me about 25 odd years before I stopped brewing. I now have two standard 25litre plastic FVs, and these will fine for some time to come.
So I really don't see the point for homebrewers to spend ££££ on an FV unless it has something unique to offer like a conical bottom, or you are intending to brew large quantities of beer when a simple plastic bin is not really up to the job and SS is more suitable due to its strength.
Why spend lots of money when its not really necessary?

Come on Terry, reasons to have one not reason for not having one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Come on Terry, reasons to have one not reason for not having one!
Two reasons to have one......
"unless it has something unique to offer like a conical bottom, or you are intending to brew large quantities of beer when a simple plastic bin is not really up to the job and SS is more suitable due to its strength"
Shiny is not a reason.

Back