First gold hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum used the First Gold Hop
and what did they use them for, and what did they think of them??
Lots of asks here..but I have a lot to learn.:thumb:

I've used them in a bitters Both on there own and with EKG. People say their orangey but I couldn't detect that. Really nice though. Lovely 'English' flavour. Cant quite describe it but went really nice in the bitters I made

I haven't used them yet, but want to soon. From what I've picked up its more marmalade than orange, even though it's technically the same flavour I guess. I've also read they're like Goldings with more zing and less honey.

Thanks for the info..
Im thinking of growing one, since it doesn't grow very high and seems quite versatile

I'm growing one and its took off like a rocket...supposed to have notes of orange marmalade which is why I went for it, that and the fact its supposed to be a dwarf

I'm growing one and its took off like a rocket...supposed to have notes of orange marmalade which is why I went for it, that and the fact its supposed to be a dwarf
Keep us up to date with events and its use obviously...nice one:thumb:

Commercials fine Rob...just not seen it down here ...but then Sainsburys are pretty ****...and Tescos are 'Refining' their range

First Gold is my go to hop for my yorkshire bitter, brewed this one 3-4 times now and not found anyone who didn't like the beer, my Dad thought it had a lovely 'nutty' flavour.

In fact, got 44 bottles conditioning in the spare beadroom as we speak, ready to moved into the garage at the weekend and then left alone for at least 12 hours before sampling :lol:

For me it does have a subtle marmaladey, orangey taste but not overpowering.

Posted my brewday (first time I made it) and some follow up on my thread here, there is some discussion towards the end on the flavours of First Gold Hop:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56583

Where did you buy the hop plant, any links ?

First Gold is my go to hop for my yorkshire bitter, brewed this one 3-4 times now and not found anyone who didn't like the beer, my Dad thought it had a lovely 'nutty' flavour.

In fact, got 44 bottles conditioning in the spare beadroom as we speak, ready to moved into the garage at the weekend and then left alone for at least 12 hours before sampling :lol:

For me it does have a subtle marmaladey, orangey taste but not overpowering.

Posted my brewday (first time I made it) and some follow up on my thread here, there is some discussion towards the end on the flavours of First Gold Hop:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56583

Where did you buy the hop plant, any links ?

I got mine from here:

http://essentiallyhops.co.uk/acatalog/English-Hop-Varieties-ENGLISH.html#SID=7

Looking forward to using it with some Ruby brews or maybe even some pales

I've used first gold in a bitter, single hop brew. Had a lovely flavour, not orangey, but had a zest to it. Will do a first gold pale ale next month, like the previous bitter, but I'll substitute the crystal for wheat

Latest posts

Back