New Grainfather Conical Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norfolk79

Legendary Beer Drinker
Reaction score
Anybody else seen the new Conical Fermenter which Grainfather are launching ?

https://youtu.be/awlBS8DBL9A

Looks pretty impressive, although how much the "Full Monty" including the Glycol chiller will cost is anybody's guess!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awlBS8DBL9A&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Hmmmmm!! Shiny shiny!!
Something to look at closely! Specially the cost..
Ok for the gaget man/woman collector...but I'm happy with cheapish ferm fridges..inkbird and my SS brewbucket.
If the makers look at the development of any probs like the gf system be a great bit of kit!
Bri

I'm torn between "shut up and take my money" and "that's a bit over the top for a homebrew setup".

I'm torn between "shut up and take my money" and "that's a bit over the top for a homebrew setup".
Same here, although I've delayed buying the SS Brewtech Brewmaster connical bucket until I see how much more this costs.

Am thinking if it's not too stupidly priced I could always buy fermenter and buy the chiller if I decide I need one

It's nice and shiny and all that, but the price is epic and that's before you think about the temp controller and the chiller unit.

£450 without upgrades - so it will have heating capabilities and a digital temperature readout

No temp control, bottom valve or chiller for that !!!

Honestly think they have completely missed their target audience with it, you cant really use it in a fridge due to the insulation so need a chiller of some sort.

an ebay bargain shelf chiller will do the same job as fancy built for purpose jobby you can even get SS cases if the shiny aspect is crucial :)

Looks Good and i do have some brand loyalty as a very satisfied g/f owner. Double walls, insulation and an intergrated hex system are all VERY DESIRABLE features too.

However conicals are imho of very little benefit to small scale homebrewers, perhaps making the harvesting of yeast slightly easier, though its little more hassle to rinse the sediment from a bucket the extra time or 2 it may require.

dropping trub out is of debatable value, most brews dont sit on trub long enough to suffer any detriment anyway.

And i doubt anyone will notice any significant drops in losses due to the conical shape, in fact losses could easily increase with dumping. floculant yeast plugs can stick like treacle blocking the dump drain if left sat a wee bit too long..

But even vanity purchases are valid if you buy with your eyes open ;) and no one will deny such a system will look way better than any sophisticated arrangement of plastic brew buckets on the bench in any brewspot ;)

just dont expect any significant improvement in the beer it produces tho.. (against any other temp controlled fermentation system) Some temp control will always trump no temp control,, so if moving from no temp control, you probably will see vast improvement in the brews produced and how the brews progress.

��£450 on BrewUK too.:-o Don't think I'll be getting one!

Edit Temperature controller �£55, tap �£90 and chiller �£850 so �£1,445 all in :-(:-o

Well!!
Are you thinking that Bri will buy one! Shiny shiny and drink n buy!!
Knaaa!
450 beaver pelts standard!! Wtf!
I'd better off with the SS brewbucket mini that I want to buy...
But all can change!!!!.
Bri

Sad times. Guess plan "brew fridge in the porch" is back on. The $299 price tag on a brew jacket immersion pro doesn't look quite so daft now. :-)

You can easily see how you can spend a lot of money on this hobby and be sucked in. I don't have a lot of money, so will stick with my free from a friend fridge, the inkbird controller I won off this forum, and a cheap heater for the moment. But oh, when I win the lottery or find some unexpected windfall of large amounts of money, I'm making the shiniest, top of the line brewery I can make!

Now that looks nice! Look at the price tag...bl**dy hell!! I don't know about others, but I brew for two reasons,; to make beer I like, and to save money. Don't get me wrong, I love shiny stainless steel, but even if they offered this at 50% off, it would still be expensive.

Thinking out loud now, with the exception of cold crashing, surely you could maintain a certain temperature by using a big bucket of water, aquarium heater and recirc. pump to maintain a good fermentation temperature? If you brew in summer when it gets really hot (if it ever happens!) then using a cold tap to bring temp down should suffice. Even if on a water meter, this would still be cheaper than G.F. kit!!

I'm sure the more technically minded on here will be able to develop the idea far better than I ever could...:lol:

A way of making the value equation to work would be if you could use the Glycol cooler for dispensing purposes, and to chill wort more efficiently.

However £450 :lol:

Yeah when I first saw this I thought it would be a great alternative to the brew fridge and bucket arrangement but:

Fridge - £Free - £30 eBay
Inkbird - £30
Heater - £15
Fermenting bucket - £10

Total £85 max vs. £450 without cooling. No chance.

I do think they may have missed the mark with the pricing. Altough if you've got the money and want the ultimate brewing experience.... lol

How many brews could you do for that money!

I think they are taking the proverbial with those prices. I already have the Grainfather, sparge water heater and I recently treated myself to a SS Brewtech Brewmaster bucket and Inkbird ITC-308. I just need a fridge when I can work out where to put it. I think this is a much better option for a stainless steel combination and much cheaper too.

Latest posts

Back