corny kegs,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam51

Reaction score
hi all just brought 2 corny kegs, and would love some to tell me how set them up and use, they are ball lock, and have nothing attached to them.
or if some one knows a good you tube vid that can run me through it from start to finish, I'm looking forward to using them, many many thanks sam.

I've recently started using corny kegs after bottling for years and they are so much easier. Bit tricky to go through everything on here but you will need a CO2 bottle (I got mine from Dixons in Westerhope) a regulator (about £23 on ebay) a gas and a liquid disconnect (again ebay, £3.50ish from China if u can wait or a bit more from UK) some John guest fittings if you use the threaded disconnects or jubilee clips if you use the barbed disconnects (I use threaded as it's easier to remove tubing from the John guest fittings) and some tubing (I use 3/8 which you can get from ebay.

You need to gas the corny with beer in a little then let the gas out via the safety valve, do this a few times to purge the air out so there's just CO2 in there. Once you have your beer in the keg then you also need a way to dispense it, you can get a party tap with tubing and disconnect for about a fiver on ebay too. There are a few videos on YouTube you can watch to help.

hi all just brought 2 corny kegs, and would love some to tell me how set them up and use, they are ball lock, and have nothing attached to them.
or if some one knows a good you tube vid that can run me through it from start to finish, I'm looking forward to using them, many many thanks sam.

How much they set you back? I've been thinking about going the way of the corny ( more so as I bottled a raspberry wine/TC yesterday and will be bottling a sweet newkie 2moz if the weathers right for it)

lots of useful info available with the search option.. just remember the kegs are only the container aspect of a dispensing system you will need beer and gas line, 3/8" Od ldpe tube is the standard.. a tap, a co2 supply and method of control (regulator with a psi output guage with 2 psi increments on the dial in order to aid setting fine pressure levels.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL of the kegs makes life MUCH EASIER, without it a good appreciation of the 3way relationship between temperature pressure and the level of condition those 2 factors will support in the beer within the keg. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kegerators.com%2Farticles%2Fcarbonation-table-pressure-chart.php&ei=Tn_MUv_qC5CqhAfL5YHQAw&usg=AFQjCNFBmyJM8-kSKjo26ur1iyUdS-nxpA&sig2=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4

Anti Fobbing.. 'stopping you pouring nowt but foam' needs you to understand the temp/pressure/condition relationship, AND considering balancing off the internal keg pressure Or dropping to nominal pressure to serve.. most of us employ a length of 3/16" microline between the keg and tap to reduce the pressure gradient at the tap point (Drop in pressure), generally 4-6ft works for most folk,

start putting the feelers out for a keg fridge if you want the easy road..

lots of useful info available with the search option.. just remember the kegs are only the container aspect of a dispensing system you will need beer and gas line, 3/8" Od ldpe tube is the standard.. a tap, a co2 supply and method of control (regulator with a psi output guage with 2 psi increments on the dial in order to aid setting fine pressure levels.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL of the kegs makes life MUCH EASIER, without it a good appreciation of the 3way relationship between temperature pressure and the level of condition those 2 factors will support in the beer within the keg. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kegerators.com%2Farticles%2Fcarbonation-table-pressure-chart.php&ei=Tn_MUv_qC5CqhAfL5YHQAw&usg=AFQjCNFBmyJM8-kSKjo26ur1iyUdS-nxpA&sig2=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4

Anti Fobbing.. 'stopping you pouring nowt but foam' needs you to understand the temp/pressure/condition relationship, AND considering balancing off the internal keg pressure Or dropping to nominal pressure to serve.. most of us employ a length of 3/16" microline between the keg and tap to reduce the pressure gradient at the tap point (Drop in pressure), generally 4-6ft works for most folk,

start putting the feelers out for a keg fridge if you want the easy road..

most of that went over my head. i have a fridge, the temp range is 2 to 8 degrees.

hi all think ive got my head around this all. but as I'm going to run two kegs, what c02 regulator do i need,
and fittings to run them one at a time , i mean if i brew for two cornys can i have beer in both and use one corny at a time , then when one is empty switch over to the other one. thanks sam.

hi all think ive got my head around this all. but as I'm going to run two kegs, what c02 regulator do i need,
and fittings to run them one at a time , i mean if i brew for two cornys can i have beer in both and use one corny at a time , then when one is empty switch over to the other one. thanks sam.
With what you have in mind is fine,just get a bog standard reg with psi Finely graduated and not the welders flow Meter which isnt and would be constant guess work for psi

thanks, can you tell me what reg i need and where to get one from, seems to be so many available.

hi guys, just set my corny keg system up , made a quick woodfords sundew, and wow
what a result, kegs all the way now, going to sell all my plastic barrels,
only little query , the pressure in the keg is 10psi, beer a little to gassy, any way to lose some gas,
thanks sam.

hi guys, just set my corny keg system up , made a quick woodfords sundew, and wow
what a result, kegs all the way now, going to sell all my plastic barrels,
only little query , the pressure in the keg is 10psi, beer a little to gassy, any way to lose some gas,
thanks sam.
Pull the pressure release valve in the cap simples,but it still may be gassy/ fobby if you've over pressurised it

Just pull the pin on the top a little, that'll let some pressure out. Lower the pressure in first though to between 5 and 8.
Is it too gassy, or too foamy?

If it is gassy, then, you over carbed it, so pull the pin to empty excess, then, let it sit for a day or so and purge again, then, only put a pressure of 5 on, it'll reduce a bit, but won't fix.

If it's too foamy that you mean, then extend the beer out line. Doubling whatever you have won't spoil it, but will reduce it.

You should also look to avoid any sharp bends on the beer out line, cellar systems tend to use slow radius bends which help to keep the needed pressure low and reduce fobbing. When you carbonate (assuming force carbing) let the keg stand a day or two at 2 bar disconnected, once carbed let the pressure out and then reconnect the gas in at 5psi for serving pressure.

Back