Kegged, but how to serve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhebden

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a student havent had access to a fridge big enough to store my corny keg, but have got round to ordering one and is currently out for delivery.

Last week, transferred from secondary to keg, set to 25psi (agitated keg several times throughout the week) and kept the pressure at 25psi constantly. (Has been a warm week and keg has just been sat in bedroom at room temperature hooked up to the co2 permanently).

Fridge delivery has been delayed and I'm wanting to try a couple out of the keg for sampling purposes in the meantime. I have made some space in the communal fridge to put the keg in, although it wont be hooked up to the c02. What the best way of going about this ?

Here are the options from reading around i feel i have:

1) Purge the keg a couple of time to bring down to a psi of around 10, whack in the fridge for a couple of hours until cool. Remove keg, attach party line and co2, and serve at around 5psi.

2) Dont purge the keg (currently at 25psi), whack in the fridge for a couple of hours until cool. Remove keg, then purge to a pressure of 5psi to serve.

3) Completely purge the keg down to 0psi, whack in fridge for a couple of hours until cool. Remove keg, hook up to co2 and force carb with agitation at around 35 psi, for 5 min, then whack down to serving pressure of 5psi to serve.

Whats the best option/other options ?

Any advice much help !

Cheers

So dont purge the keg at all before putting in fridge ? And then remove keg from fridge, hook up to c02 and party line, adjust to 10psi, then serve ?

So dont purge the keg at all before putting in fridge ? And then remove keg from fridge, hook up to c02 and party line, adjust to 10psi, then serve ?
Purge the O2 out with the gas and venting valve upon filling the keg,crank up the psi to around 30 put in fridge leave until chilled and drop psi to serving temperature.it'll already have probably dropped near to it anyway once the beer is chilled and absorbed the CO2, pull a pint and adjust accordingly.leave keg in fridge
You obviously need to hook up the chilled beer to the reg to know what the psi is and to fine tune it

Latest posts

Back