Attention newbies:Things I've learnt on first brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedhopper

Reaction score
Well the title says it all!!

My first brew a St Peter's golden ale is now bottled and here's a few things I've learnt that hopefully will help others!!

1, don't mess with it!! If the airlock isn't bubbling don't panic

2, take a couple of readings towards end of fermentation period

3, taste towards the end, local home brew shop told me it shouldn't taste too sweet if it does the chances are it's got work to do!

4, just because the kit says 6 days fermentation don't believe it

5, if your bottling get a bucket clip and a bottle wand or little bottler ( I ended up loosing the siphon vacuum and spilling beer) the next one is in the keg!!!

6, bottle when the Mrs is out!!! See number 5!! Beer on floor up cupboards etc ... Not good!!!

7, if reusing bottles rinse after use!!!!
Hope this helps someone and would love to hear other people's tips!!

Great post, i will add - Patience is a virtue, you have to be patient if you want your beers, wines and ciders to be the best they can be.

Number 4 & 6 are the most important although last time I bottled the missus wasn't there and I still got in trouble...she wasn't impressed when her foot stuck to the floor the next evening!!!!

I'd add - Temperature is key. If you can nail pitching temp, fermentation temp, priming temp and conditioning temp you're laughing.

6 Beer on floor up cupboards etc ... Not good!!!

Do not fill the DJ higher than the shoulder especially if making the Wilko strawberry wine or original WOW as they will make a break for freedom on day two - "wine on floor up cupboards and walls etc ... Not good" :lol:

Latest posts

Back