Help - DME

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbiehep

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the best way to add DME to my brew.Last time I finished up with big clumps of it hanging off the bag as well as a load stuck inside . Yes I tipped it in after putting boiling water in my FV.:doh:Would it be ok to put it in the FV and then tip boilng water onto it or will I end up with a sticky lump?Help appreciated Ta

I had the same problem the first time I used it. Second time I added the kit to the FV, then the SME and sugar and then the water...no lumps. I might have got lucky but I'll be doing it the same way next time.

OK Johnnyboy I'm going to go with you and mix the spraymalt/SME/DME with cold water separately . If that goes OK Ican mix the canned extract with hot water and bung the SME in with it.I've read somewhere about using a whisk(sterilised) to beat it in with .Thanks both of you for your input.Brewing this afternoon - thats after a trip to -orrisons to top up the wine rack--25% off wines when you buy 6 or 12 bttls

All went well.Light spray malt dissolved OK in cold water.Added this to a Brewferm Triple kit.Now close sealed in FV awaiting the first plop.Thanks

I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup. They handle going from room temp to boiling and back well. It allows me to submerge it in the boiling wort to get it all out.

I generally add my DME at the beginning of the boil.

OK . So I made a Coopers lager kit today . After emptying the extract into the FV I added 1Kg brew enhancer and tipped boiling water ontop . Horrors - there was a load of toffee like large lumps floating about in the wort . So I thought I'd fish them out and try to dissolve them in some hot water.By the time I'd sterilised a sieve - got the lumps into a pan with some hot water - they had dissolved . So lesson learned I think - if you get lumps of SME/DME it will , given time dissolve.

Latest posts

Back