Diastic Properties of spray malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugno

Reaction score
Could someone help me here with a queation. Does spraymalt have diastic enzymes in it? What do these enzymes do?

I'm gonna have to say that I dunno on this one :oops: pretty sure though that one of our forumee's will know ;)

I know that You can buy diastatic malt extract from most homebrew shops.

This can be used to mash a small amount of none malted cereal grain to improve a spray malt recipe for instance.

I've never seen diastatic spray malt powder.

The link below explains enzyme activity in an AG mash.

clicky

Diastatic power

The diastatic power (DP), also called the "diastatic activity" or "enzymatic power", of a grain generally refers only to malts, grains which have begun to germinate; the act of germination includes the production of a number of enzymes such as amylase which convert starch into sugar; thereby, sugars can be extracted from the barley's own starches simply by soaking the grain in water at a controlled temperature: this is mashing. Other enzymes break long proteins into short ones and accomplish other important tasks.

In general, the hotter a grain is kilned, the less its diastatic activity; consequently, only lightly-colored grains can be used as base malts, with Munich malt being the darkest base malt generally available.

Diastatic activity can also be provided by diastatic malt extract or by inclusion of separately-prepared brewing enzymes.

The second to last point refers to the fact that enzymes are denatured at certain temps, and the higher the temp the more likely you are to denature the enzymes.

Does spraymalt have diastic enzymes in it?

Malt extracts can be used as a sole source of fermentable sugar, or they can be combined with barley malt. The malt extract comes in the form of syrup or dried powder. If the final product is a dried powder, the malt extract has undergone a complete evaporation process by means of "spray-drying," thus removing almost all of the water. For simplicity, use an 85% conversion factor when substituting dried malt for syrup. Syrups are more popular than dried malt extract, possibly because they are less trouble to store. A common problem noticed in malt extract beers is the thin, dry palate, which correlates with a low terminal gravity. Another common problem is the lack of a true "dark malt" flavor in dark beers.

Due to the fact that extract beers are boiled, and not mashed, I'd say the enzymes are a mute point, as all conversion has taken place. Hope that helps.

This is exactly what I had thought but it was a question asked by a customer. I wanted to clear it up before I answered the Q. I didn't want to guess at it untill I had the facts. I thought the only spray that might have a hope of having some was the light kind as it would not be heated as much. I explained that it would be of no benifit as he would be boiling the spray malt destroying any enzymes that may be present.

The next Q is has anyone ever heard of diastic enzyme being supplied in a tub. He said he used it before but I have never heard of such a thing. I know of the dry beer enzyme that breaks down the higher sugars. Ant thoughts would be appreciated. Has any one used this?

It could be hard to keep stable as the are at least four enzyme involved (depending on the temp used) but there appear to be a patent for it here and here

Back