mangrove jacks M44 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrobertson

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a dark mild ale and pitched the yeast on Saturday at 10pm. now my concern is that I have read that the M44 usually lags but yesterday evening and this morning the air lock was bubbling away very fast but now it has slowed right down and no krausen has formed. shout I be worried or is this normal and it should it pick up again?

Just give it time. I've found it lags to begin with, goes crazy and smells bad for a day or so and quiet works away for the next 7-10.

One of my absolute favourite yeasts but it does act a little odd.

Interested to hear how a Dark Mild turns out with this yeast. What made you choose this yeast?

Okay so today there is still no actively that I can see but a lot of sediment has formed at the bottom of my FV. Has the yeast possibley died ?

IMG_1010.jpg

Yeast and other sediment will always settle at the bottom of the fv.

Have you taken gravity readings?

Okay so today there is still no actively that I can see but a lot of sediment has formed at the bottom of my FV. Has the yeast possibley died ?

Have you taken a gravity reading? I do agree it's a bit weird though - the only time I've used it the yeast was so active it escaped from the fermenter so I'm surprised you've had no visible signs.

I read it that he had it vigorous but only for a short period of time.

Gravity reading should clear it up. Also would be good to know the fermentation temperature.

Hey guys, thanks for the help so far

I.G was sitting at 1.040 and is currently sitting just shy of 1.020 final gravity should be about 1.007

Current temp is about 22/23 degrees

I really hope all is not lost as this will be my first all grain :)

I like a few people thought there's something wrong with this yeast!! Seems no sooner it started n it was done!! :-(
But done my checks the fermintation was rapid and short lived..
Keeps u on your toes lol
Bri

Try rousing it a little bit and give it time. What temperature did you mash at?

Mash temp was about 69 degrees fluctuating upto 72 degrees at times.

I have gave it a swirl and It has started bubbling a little since it settled. I am going to try and forget about it until the weekend and will do another gravity reading on Saturday morning if it has dropped anymore then I will have learned a lesson for next time that it is just a stubborn yeast. Hopefully I have been worried about nothing

That's a pretty high mash. Gravity might not end up as low as you'd planned.

Experimented with this yeast recently. Started quickly and attenuated really well. Flocculation was also impressive when compared to US05 etc.

However, the resulting beer had a strange ester taste i didn't care for, and the IPA i brewed was far less intense than when i brewed it with US05.

It was almost as if the M44 took 50% of the hop and malt character and threw it out of the final beer somehow.

Back