Bulldog, Evil Dog Double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left it for another 2 weeks while am off to work, transfered it again and removed the hops, it had dropped to 1008 2 days later and was still bubbling, wander what it will be when I get back....

First time I've brewed this, the recent warm weather has really helped. I popped the hops in two days before bottling which I did on Sat after 10 days fermenting. OG 1.040, FG 0.990 so approx 6.5%. I have to agree with another poster that this brew tasted a bit odd, like a lack lustre grapefruit, but not overly alcoholic. So being the most expensive kit I've bought so far, I really hope this SOB conditions well and the flavours described by others come out with time. Cloudy as heck too, so needs to clear big time before I crack these to try in a month or so's time.

Hi all, wonder if you could give me some advice. I am new to brewing, I have done 1 brew (Youngs American IPA kit) with a friend. After we bottled I left it at room temperature for a couple of weeks, then moved to a mini fridge (holds about 19 x 500ml bottles) at 15c for 5 weeks. Turned the fridge down to 9c on Friday and opened the 1st bottle. It's was very tasty!

Yesterday I went to the homebrew shop and got myself my first FV and the Bulldog Evil Dog Double IPA. I am planning to bottle straight from the FV as recommended by the guy at the shop. He also suggested to use the Coopers Carb tablets instead of sugar.

Now to my question, I live in a apartment, the temperature is fairly warm. I don't think I will have any troubles with the brewing. But what I don't have space for is 'moving to a cool place' after bottling like I did for the AIPA as that mini fridge is now packed with beer. How strict is this? Can I bottle and leave at room temperature for a month?, 2 months?, does it matter? I think it will be easier in the winter as I can box up and move to my balcony (no shed or garage). I ideally now want to always have one on the go (I have caught the brewing bug!) but if I wait till my mini fridge is empty to turn up to 15c I will be beerless for a few weeks while it is conditioning.

Can anyone give me some advice? What are the dos and donts at the bottling stage?

Hope my question makes sense.

By the time you bottle this @Burt84 it'll be September, couple of weeks indoors to carb up then stick it on the balcony in the cool for a few more at least, fridge a few bottles when you want to drink em. I think you'll be ok with this.
I bought a second hand fridge of gumtree the other week, it pays to bide your time and keep checking, I got a cracker for twenty quid.

I am ( or should ) be ready to bottle this weekend if the gravity behaves itself. Has anyone ever used finings on this kit?

Left it for another 2 weeks while am off to work, transfered it again and removed the hops, it had dropped to 1008 2 days later and was still bubbling, wander what it will be when I get back....

I would bottle it, as long as its not bubbling too often. And drink it young or the hop taste fades dramitically when i did it.

I have brewed this for Christmas ! The 'dog' has now been put in the shed to mellow down :grin: otherwise known as condition !! Had a swig from the siphon tube (in the interests of quality control !) and it tastes fantastic, clean, hoppy and strong ! Has pressured well in the barrel...we now await the final outcome in a few weeks (or less :whistle: !). If still capable, will report back ! By the way, am I the only one who's box reads 7.5% and not 7.1% ? Be interested to know if anyone else has come across this !!

evildog.jpg

Hello all looking for some advice on this evil dog brew. Had it on the go fermenting away and it's more or less stopped at the desired gravity stated on the instructions. I've syphoned and filtered into a secondary fv and added finings and have left it a few days to do its thing. I've never batch primed with sugar and was wondering how I go about this and how much to use for the 23 litres I have. Or do I stick to the carbonation drops I have? And if so how many drops should I put into the 500ml bottles I use? Thanks in advance for any info Mick

It was pretty much exactly reverse for me. Someone said they used coopers so I used 2 wilko ones..

Mine is quite fizzy but the plastic pet bottles being hard still have a bit of give..

I just thought if I under carb it I'll regret it. You'll be fine with 2 I think.

Most Brewdog IPAs are heavy carbonated and I gotta say I like their stuff so if you say two carb drops do the business then that's the route I'll take.
I've got 500ml swing top bottles so will get them going tomorrow night:0)
After the Evil Dog is bottled I'm going to start my Festival Razorback IPA and get it going. Read some great reviews for this kit. It has priming sugar supplied with it so that'll be another bunch of questions

Gave this beer its ten days then syphoned to a secondary fv where I added finings and allowed it to rest for a further week. Bottled on Wednesday, and I got to say allowing it to settle for a week with finings really helped clear the beer down even further and reduce what sediment would usually find its way into the bottle. Anyway, 2 carbonation drops went into each 500ml bottle and gambled on 3 drops for the three 750ml bottles I have? Will see how the gamble goes. Bottles are now sitting at 22° in the cupboard at a constant temp.

Left it the stated week to carbonate, but its pretty flat. Asked for some advice and been reassured that one week is only a guideline on the instruction and can take anywhere up to two to three weeks to get it carbonated fully

Left it the stated week to carbonate, but its pretty flat. Asked for some advice and been reassured that one week is only a guideline on the instruction and can take anywhere up to two to three weeks to get it carbonated fully

Hi there, I'm interested to know how your Evil Dog went down? Have you tried it yet?, and did you get the required carbonation?

I'm new to homebrewing, but on the lookout for tips. I was a little disappointed with the amount of sediment in the bottles of my 1st brew, so am considering buying another fermenting vessel that will enable me to transfer and crash cool my brew for 24hours when the primary fermentation is complete. My worry is that this method (and maybe the use of finings) would drop too much of the yeast from the brew and so would struggle in the secondary fermentation (carbonation) stage.

Beware ! This tastes good but it doesn't taste that strong....BUT IT IS !! After two or three of these you know you've had 'em !! Mine's in a pressure barrel and the carbonation is still excellent, even with fluctuating exterior temperatures (in the 'shed' !!). The kit I brewed estimated 7.5% on the box....it's definitely that and then some. Didn't test it but experience gives me enough insight as to where it's at !!:lol:

I loved this kit. I will definitely be brewing it again. I'm used to the sediment now really and kind of got the hang of pouring from a pet bottle. I still don't have the guts to use glass bottles yet. I think I have 1 bottle left!!

The father in law said he wouldn't know the difference between home brew or a craft if I hadn't told him!!

Big fan of this stuff

Pitched this last night, OG was 1.063 and if it gets down to about 1.008 should be bang on target, has taken its time to get going. Time will tell but will most definitely be in the FV 3 weeks and secondary with the hops for a week.

should be a good BBQ drink come summer:drunk:

I have started to brew this today and have a quick question.
There are two bags of Hop Pellets (Simcoe and Summit) to be added near the end of fermentation.

Do I add one type or both?

Novice question I know, just new to this hobby

I have started to brew this today and have a quick question.
There are two bags of Hop Pellets (Simcoe and Summit) to be added near the end of fermentation.

Do I add one type or both?

Novice question I know, just new to this hobby

Hi Mate, add both types of hops. Near the end of the primary fermentation process as you have said.
I haven't done this kit yet, but it has such good reviews that it is going on my wishlist.
let us know how you get on with it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back