Beerworks Sierra American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyMc

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anybody brewed Beerworks Sierra American Pale Ale? I've got some in the FV now bubbling away nicely and smelling good. Looking forward to it and interested to see if anybody else has tried it??

I have friends in Chesterfield (local Lovebrewing shop) who don't brew or drink anything but Presidents Sierra. They swear by it They say their mates have left Punk IPA in the fridge to drink their home-brewed Presidents Sierra. It is definitely on my list to try soon.

Hi,

Has anybody brewed Beerworks Sierra American Pale Ale? I've got some in the FV now bubbling away nicely and smelling good. Looking forward to it and interested to see if anybody else has tried it??

I've got this kit on the go atm. I added my hops last night and just wanted to know how yours turned out.

Don't know but please keep us posted as I'm keen to try some of these Beerworks kits myself (as well as the Cider and Wineworks kits that Lovebrewing sell). They all sound quite good from what I've heard.

I've got this kit on the go atm. I added my hops last night and just wanted to know how yours turned out.
I've got this kit clearing at the moment. It had quite a lot of sediment in the bottles but is clearing nicely. Going to try a bottle tomorrow, still quite early after 9 days clearing but I'm desperate to see if it has a nice citra taste from the dry hop. Will let you know how it tastes tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.

Let's have some reviews of this when it's done please. :thumb:

As others have said, these kits look really promising and keep popping up in discussions from time to time but no one ever posts a review, which seems a bit odd. :?

Just had my first taste of Presidents Sierra pale.
A bit disappointed to be honest. It really tastes like home brew. Can't detect much citra aroma as it should have. Dry hopped after 5 days as per instructions, but I think this is too early. It was still in primary for 9 days after hopping and I think it has had the aroma stripped out by all the co2.
In the brews defense, its only my second kit and I just bottled straight from the fav after the primary. No cold crash and no bottling bucket, think I've carried forward lots of yeast.
I have the same kit (though I've swapped the hops for mosaic) in cold crash at the moment. Didn't add the hops until day 9 on this one and will transfer to a bottling bucket having taken advice from the more experienced forum users.
Don't get me wrong it's not awful or anything and it is still very early.
Maybe my expectations were a little high. The reviews on the love brewing website are all glowing.
I will be leaving this alone for a bit, hoping for an improvement. :(

Edit
The bottle I have just reviewed has been in the fridge for a few days.
Just been out to the shed and noticed the bottles in there are a fair bit clearer. So I opened one. It does taste a lot better, not so much of a yeast taste. Still not much citra aroma but a pleasant drink. Gives me hope for it further down the line. :)

Any beer kits that have a dry hop addition I tend to let them ferment out more or less completely before dry hopping. Typically I'll leave it alone for 10-14 days, test it, and usually the gravity is either at or very near FG e.g. 1.010 - 1.014. I'll then check in the hop pellets and leave for 3-4 days before kegging or bottling.

Too early and the aromas will be driven off by the CO2.

Any beer kits that have a dry hop addition I tend to let them ferment out more or less completely before dry hopping. Typically I'll leave it alone for 10-14 days, test it, and usually the gravity is either at or very near FG e.g. 1.010 - 1.014. I'll then check in the hop pellets and leave for 3-4 days before kegging or bottling.

Too early and the aromas will be driven off by the CO2.
That's pretty much what I've done with the current one. Added the hops 4 days before cold crashing. Followed the instructions first time around which said to hop after 5 days. They also said add boiling water to the hops before adding them to the fv. I didn't do that this time, just threw the pellets in as most people on here advise. Maybe that will make a difference.

That's pretty much what I've done with the current one. Added the hops 4 days before cold crashing. Followed the instructions first time around which said to hop after 5 days. They also said add boiling water to the hops before adding them to the fv. I didn't do that this time, just threw the pellets in as most people on here advise. Maybe that will make a difference.

The consensus is that soaking the hop pellets in hot water (i.e. hop tea) before lobbing the whole lot in the fermenter draws more of the flavour out of the hops whereas dry hopping alone increases the aroma. Personally I've really yet to be convinced by either technique but I probably need to experiment more. The Cooper's kit that I recently pimped was with an EKG hop tea so will have to see how that turns out.

Back