Glass or Plastic

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In the wow guide i noticed he starts the wow in a plastic DJ (water bottle) but when finishing he moves it to a glass DJ, did he do this intentionally or can you finish it in either?

You can finish in either. As WOW is not a long maturing wine you could also leave it in a PET to mature. As PET is permeable to oxygen over time it is not recommended for long maturing wines, ie 6 months plus, but more than suitable for a few months.

It makes sense to start a wine off in PET then rack into a glass DJ after the initial ferment is done because the 5L PET bottles have ridges on the inside where the lees can collect, and this can be an issue with subsequent rackings.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
5L PET bottles have ridges on the inside where the lees can collect, and this can be an issue with subsequent rackings.

Not really an issue. But you can always give the pet a gentle swirl a day or so before you rack it. But I find just the act of lifting it to a table dislodges any lees collected on the ridges and it sinks fairly quickly.

Personally, I ferment my wines in 5 litre PETs, and then rack into glass DJs. However, I'm thinking about using the PETs for even maturing WOW wines and similar. No particular reason, but I'm always paranoid I'm going to smash the glass DJ and even worse, get hassle from SWMBO!

I havent read the wow guide for some time but i seem to remember Moley saying that he uses a 5ltr pet then racks into a 1 gallon DJ to minimise wastage, could be wrong though, Dave

Back