Wraith Brewery tweaks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had a few incidents of grain husks getting into the final beer. Me thinking that the holes in the Hop filter and mash tun are possibly to large although niether are over 3mm. So I have found some "shiny" to help me.
Today I have made up the socks for both of my strainers.
It's fine stainless mesh / material the holes are 1mm square.

26.jpg

27.jpg

I don't know :wha:
It makes you feel stupid when someone like tubbyshaw pulls one out of your beer at a tasting session!!
Hopefully the new shiny will stop that now!

Me thinking that the holes in the Hop filter and mash tun are possibly to large although niether are over 3mm
My strainers are 2mm and whole hop petals regularly get through after the boil, though my HERMS stops husks from the mash. I reckon they fold and get sucked through. I would imagine husks could do the same. Your hop swatter will get rid of that little problem.
You could spray the wort through a sieve to the fv, that would also solve that problem.

V1 just looked at your blog. How successful has the vertical hop strainer been. I find that no matter what I do. Hops creep out under the bottom one I made like yours.

I find that no matter what I do. Hops creep out under the bottom one I made like yours.
I had the same problem. When the 100ltr nordic pots are empty the base dimples inwards slightly. You can hear it straighten out when filling as an audible pop...well, I could anyway. If you fit the fb before the base of the pot moves down you’ll get a gap opening up between fb and the base, when it does. I got round this by filling the pot until almost at the height of the back of the tap. The base would nearly always pop down before this point, and then I’d fit the fb…problem solved.
How successful has the vertical hop strainer been
The vertical strainer works really well. Some small bits still get through, I’ve fitted have in-line filter to sort that little problem. Naturally all the cold break gets through also.
I think the best fb I’ve ever used was the ‘hop stopper’ type. The only reason I didn’t get along with it was that hops would get into it and then I couldn’t get them out. Whether this is even a consideration is moot, I didn’t like it.

You could always wrap hop stopper material around your fb.
There’s a company called The Mesh Company which sell the stuff very reasonably

Back