Advice needed for buying a boiler please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickien

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My husband has been making beer from the kits sold in the cans but now he wants to start making them from the kit bags that contain the hops and grain etc (sorry for not being very technical, I don't really understand it as I'm more into wine making :oops: )

Anyway, I want to buy him a boiler for Chrismas and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which one to purchase? I have been reading a few threads about buying tea urns for this but still am not sure if it is best to buy these or a boilers specifically for beer making? I'd like to get him a really good one and am willing to pay up to £200.

Thanks guys! :cheers:

Wow, that's amazing!

I can't believe I can get the whole setup for that price!

He is going to be VERY happy :D

Thank you so much for the link :cheers:

It's worth paying extra for a second element too, just speak to John.

I think the hop strainer may need modifying, but I'm sure someone will come along in a minute and tell you what needs doing.

He will need to add a cooler of some sort . . . Hop and Grape do one (Copper Coil- ask John to alter the arms for a 10 gallon boiler) . . . or he can make his own out of a 10mm copper coil from BnQ / Screwfix / Toolstation / Wickes / Local Plumbers Merchant etc . . . it isn't really all that difficult.

Oh and note that you are buying a TEN GALLON brewery not a 5 gallon one . . . twice as much beer for the same time investment :party:

Thanks for all the info!

I've had a look back on the hop and grape website and am going to add the copper coil to my shopping list :D I did notice that they do the same set up with a thermostat for a little bit more money, is it worth me getting this one or is it an unnecessary extra?

Thank again guys, you have been a great help :cheers:

Don't get the thermostat, complete waste of money really.

Remember when ordering the copper coil to ask for the arms to be bent to fit the 10 Gallon brewery . . . for some reason even if you order the two together it doesn't usually dawn on John that it needs altering to fit :roll:

Ha ha ha, your right!

If I have enough change left over I'll be popping to poundland, if not, it's looking like newspaper :lol:

Latest posts

Back