10gallon brew with H&G 28l mashtun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the H&G 28liter coolerbox mashtun and am planning on doubling up my next brew to a full 10 gallon batch.

Only thing is, when I did my last 5 gallon brew, I noticed the tun was almost full when I filled up with the top-up water while batch sparging....

According to the calculator, I need to find space for 20 liters initial volume, then a top up of 16 liters, then sprage with another 20 liters.

Obviously, 8kg of grain plus 26 liters of liqour, plus a manifold, arent all going to fit in one 28 liter coolbox.

So what to do?

Just fill with 20 liters initially, then sparge twice with 20 liters? :wha:

Based on my meagre knowledge, I'd say you simply won't be able to get enough grain in there for sufficient extraction for a 10 gallon brew. I guess you could attempt two successive mashes/sparges but, for the minimal cost of buying a higher capacity cooler, I would say it'd be worth the money of going for the latter option :thumb:

Thanks All (just sent you a PM by the way Bones, but you can ignore)

I'm not buying more kit anytime soon though. Look like its either two mashes or a 5 gallon brew.... Not sure I have time for 2 mashes in one day!

Oh well, dont have the equipment to do two mashes in a day in any case....

So is the consensus that I can or cant batch sparge about 8Kg of grain in one of these tuns?

for 46L batch (54.3L Boil - 60min)

Mash in with 20.86L
drain after mash

then 4x batch sparges of 11.06L

I did this myself once or twice

Bionicmunky said:
for 46L batch (54.3L Boil - 60min)

Mash in with 20.86L
drain after mash

then 4x batch sparges of 11.06L

I did this myself once or twice

Thanks. Thats do-able.

Where in beersmith did you find this? I have the program but dont really know how to use it yet.

setup your equipment profile, then it does it automagically for you in the brewsheet preview or print ;-)

Latest posts

Back