Mangrove Jacks - M27 Belgian Ale yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience of using this?

Picked it up this afternoon for doing tomorrow's Belgian Wit.

I usually ferment at 20 to 22 degrees, but this says optimum results are 26 to 32. Am i likely to run into any trouble being a few degrees lower?

Used it once but didn't really put it to good use as it was just a standard noble hops and pale malt brew 4% brew.

I've got it fermenting in the spare room at the moment in a Summer Saison;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52068

it's not kicking out too many esters yet at around 25c. taking a while to ferment too, which i assume is to do with the ultra-high attenuation. hopefully it'll be nice and belgian-y. :thumb:

Eduardo said:
Anyone had any experience of using this?

Picked it up this afternoon for doing tomorrow's Belgian Wit.

I usually ferment at 20 to 22 degrees, but this says optimum results are 26 to 32. Am i likely to run into any trouble being a few degrees lower?

Just bought a pack myself and am concerned about the same thing.

Think I may buy a cheap aquarium immersion heater and stand the FV in a big bucket of water heated by it, as someone suggested in another thread.

Oh, I missed a question sorry, hahah. The high ferment temp also prevents stalling - saison yeasts ideally NEED high ferment temps to perform well. So trouble wise, it might take a while - keep it as high as you can. :thumb:

Just tasted me Saison with this yeast and it's tasting great. The yeast appears to have attenuated to 1.002 so far after 9 days and there's a lot of excellent farmhouse flavour in there - the high ferment temp clearly makes a difference, last time I brewed with this yeast it was plain and boring, so keep that in mind.

It still appears to be fermenting, worryingly! But if you keep it warm and oxygenate well at the start, it looks like you won't have any of the reported long fermentation times.

Apologies if I'm dragging up an old thread but I received this yeast yesterday in my brew pack for a Continental Saison and I too was a bit concerned at the high recommended fermenting temperature (26-32C).

Good job I invested in an aquarium heater and large tub to heat the water in :thumb:

Apologies if I'm dragging up an old thread but I received this yeast yesterday in my brew pack for a Continental Saison and I too was a bit concerned at the high recommended fermenting temperature (26-32C).

Good job I invested in an aquarium heater and large tub to heat the water in :thumb:

Saison yeasts will give you a very decent drink, with all the advertised off-flavours and esters that make it what it is at normal centrally heated house temps. Put a towel or blanket around the FV to protect it a bit from temp fluctuations.

I can't possibly believe that the actual initial fermentation temps are 26-32C - these are surely the ones that are ramped up to at the end to wring out the very last of the fermentables.

This yeast does its work well at lower temperatures. AA = 98%. However, its the taste of the beer. You get more peppery notes at 26° C and above. However, you also get a good beer at lower temperatures with this yeast.

And I have used it several times, this one does not stall!

Saison yeasts will give you a very decent drink, with all the advertised off-flavours and esters that make it what it is at normal centrally heated house temps. Put a towel or blanket around the FV to protect it a bit from temp fluctuations.

I can't possibly believe that the actual initial fermentation temps are 26-32C - these are surely the ones that are ramped up to at the end to wring out the very last of the fermentables.

This yeast does its work well at lower temperatures. AA = 98%. However, its the taste of the beer. You get more peppery notes at 26° C and above. However, you also get a good beer at lower temperatures with this yeast.

And I have used it several times, this one does not stall!

Thanks chaps, I re-read the instruction leaflet last night and it said the yeast should be working in the temperature band 18C - 22C so all is good (instruction leaflet as opposed to the instructions on the yeast packet)

What do you reckon - just leave it at say 20C for the whole of the fermentation process or ramp it up a few degrees for the last couple of days? :hmm:

If you can do it, ramp it up. I just re-read the leaflet, but I have never had problems with fermenting with this strain. And I fermented my saison last year already in march, so I couldn't have gotten to more then 22 degrees.
I am currently fermenting again with this, but because it was a sachet of last year, I used it all in a starter of 250 ml, and this noon (from yesterday evening), it was already fermenting.

For the future: this one has been renamed to M29 French Saison Ale (those New-Zealanders....)

Like I said before, this one does not stall. It does work slower, and thus longer. I brewed my saison two weeks ago, and the OG was 1.035, but it is still fermenting, slow but relentless. Today I noticed that the activity is slowing down, the sugars are probably getting exhausted.

Latest posts

Back