Another Trip To HR

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it when some one "flashes" at work

Me too - it's what makes the whole sorry ordeal worthwhile. Best recent one was when a severely ruffled guy stormed off -smoking tyres and all - to return a couple of hours later to chuck his tool box thru' the gaffer's office window, screaming something about shoving the job up his a***.

Worst one happened years ago....a chap I knew was assistant manager in a super market, a decent sort, the chap not the shop.His Mrs was pregnant and due soon..anyhow he moved stores and duly explained the circumstances and that he had holidays reserved for when the baby came etc. Well he was working and got a call saying his Mrs was on her way to hospital and to meet her there...his manager became a right **** and said he couldn't go and wouldn't be getting any time off soon..
No amount of asking would work....he lost it,tipped his desk up on him and resigned with a spectacular combo of headbutts and kidney punches...or something similar.
He never went back.

Worst one happened years ago....a chap I knew was assistant manager in a super market, a decent sort, the chap not the shop.His Mrs was pregnant and due soon..anyhow he moved stores and duly explained the circumstances and that he had holidays reserved for when the baby came etc. Well he was working and got a call saying his Mrs was on her way to hospital and to meet her there...his manager became a right **** and said he couldn't go and wouldn't be getting any time off soon..
No amount of asking would work....he lost it,tipped his desk up on him and resigned with a spectacular combo of headbutts and kidney punches...or something similar.
He never went back.

I like it but wrong approach. What he should have done was walk out saying he couldnt cope and they got his doctor to sing him off with stress. He would have had the time off, still had his job and holiday due. And if the boss doesnt like it raise a complaint and get the doctor to sing him off for even longer sue to the stress of being bullied. A complaint to Head Office is also in order to back it up. All the time he can claim spending time with his wife and baby is the only thing pulling him through such difficult times.

But if he had the ability to plan a strategy like this in the heat of the moment he would have been the boss anyway.

In my last job they redesigned the entry procedure for male staff, they had to come in main entrance into changing rooms, downstairs through open plan offices up another flight of stairs and then into the lab changing area. one guy was a bit off the wall and didn't like the prospect of getting changed twice, he arrived on a motorbike, had a shower and then walked through the open plan offices wrapped only in a towel and then up to the lab changing area. twenty minutes later he was getting changed again under scrutiny from security and marched off site sacked.

I once had an interview for the lab managers post and had to do some computerised psychometric testing to see if I " was the right type of person" I didn't get the job and apparently I was too caring for people with issues and not results focused enough according to HR supervisor! Roll on two years when two people were sacked and factory manager on gardening leave for bullying and then HR went about preaching how we had to be more considerate and people focused since stress and bullying would be cracked down on and we have to be more considerate. Same person delivering the blurb to all middle management as if it were OUR fault!

Back