Aleman's Effin Imperial 4/12/09By MD

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Wraith Brewery Open day
Hi all I'm brewing this weekend 5/12/09 and now I feel confident with my kit and procedures, I'm going to open the doors for anybody that wants to see an all grain brewday / a Herms setup in use. Seems it's Christmas. I live in Measham, Derbyshire Just off Jnc 11 M42 and will be starting around 8am, with the mash starting around 9am.
If your interested in coming pm me for details.

There is acouple of versions of this recipe around the site with different boil times and grains etc..
The bill will be this.... Hope this meets Alemans approval :pray:

Brewlength 38 ltr :hmm: 2 shiny cornies worth wonder when I got them!
60% efficiency
Est OG 1.105
Est FV 1.026
120 min mash
120 min boil

14.44 Kg Pale malt
1.52 kg Chocolate malt
0.91 kg Black malt
0.76 kg Amber malt
0.76 kg Crysatl malt
1 kg Cane sugar

190 grm Fuggles 120 min
152 grm EK Goldings 120 min
76 grm Progress 15 min

That looks superb .. . . . really thick and black wort when you run off form the tun . . . sort of tar like . . . and you'll love the hop soup . . . Don't forget you'll loose 6L of wort to those hops! So when you are boiling off boil until you hit your target volume + 6L

Yeah I forgot that would soak up some!!
Beersmith reckons I'll need 58ltr pre boil to acheive 38 ltr final!

jonewer said:
How do you calculate wort loss to hops?
Roughly 1Kg of hops will displace 1L of wort and absorb 15L of wort :shock:

Therefore you work on a straight ratio of that 500g hops = 7.5L of wort absorbed, 100g = 1.5L ;)

Aleman said:
jonewer said:
How do you calculate wort loss to hops?
Roughly 1Kg of hops will displace 1L of wort and absorb 15L of wort :shock:

Therefore you work on a straight ratio of that 500g hops = 7.5L of wort absorbed, 100g = 1.5L ;)

Aha... so thats where all my beer has gone! Bloody hops drank it! :D

Well I have had some good news! Work has finally slowed down and I have 6 lieu day to take so...I've got the next 11 days off starting tomorrow, and seems nobody wants to come play with me :( I might as well get this bad boy started in the morning :thumb:
I'm hoping I have enough Speciality grain left over to knock something else up over the weekend too.
If I do It will be too top secret to post on here ;) But a select few may get unlabeled brown bottles on their door with warnings labels on them.......
Don't watch this space ;)

Hope everything goes well for you mate :thumb: , i would have loved to have come but unfortunatly :( its my turn to stay at home with the girls.

OH MY GOD!!!!

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

I don't think it's going to fit :hmm:

DSCF0087.jpg

Feck it's cold time to turn on the gassssssss!

DSCF0088.jpg

IT FITS just.....

DSCF0089.jpg

HOPS Galore, Need to speak to paul @ BB my hops that have come aren't in a vacuum anymore? Problem with machine or seals? Not a problem for me as they just went in whole bags!

DSCF0091.jpg

Mash on at 10:15 anyway..
Boy it's thick wort the old scotsman pump is working hard!

Well more pics and progress It's a long day with this size of brew!!
First runnings were off the scale @ over 32 brix!!!!

DSCF0085-1.jpg

DSCF0086-1.jpg

Hop soup? I assure you there is 30ltr of stout underneath that lot!

DSCF0087-1.jpg

A full rolling boil and a very close watcher :shock:

DSCF0088-1.jpg

First time I've filled the garage with steam!

DSCF0090-1.jpg

Maybe it has something to do with the weather :wha: It's very very still here and some weird clouds around??

DSCF0093.jpg

Spent grain occupying some 40ltr

DSCF0089-1.jpg

A note to self never pressurise a pipe with a venturi in it!! Had a very hot shower! Solution ----Vossy silicone piping!!

DSCF0096.jpg

Filling Fv's

DSCF0094.jpg

clear isn't it

DSCF0097.jpg

Lets try with a whole 6ft strip light behind it..... Nope to thick!

DSCF0098.jpg

Trub and hops taking over 18 ltr of volume!!

DSCF0102.jpg

Full Fv's

DSCF0099.jpg

My efficiency into the boiler was 90% 60ltr @ 1.097 not 56ltr @ 1.083 :thumb:
Overall I got 74% I can't believe that!
And the runnings coming out of the mash when I stoped sparging were 1.056!
So in the Fv's I have 45ltr not 38 ltr :hmm: Some of this is going to be bottled and locked away for years!!!! Maybe open one for my 50th birthday???
Oh and I upped the hops I chucked 2 whole bags of Fuggles in so 200grm
So now I'm Fecked Were drinking Pendle witch and Cheeky Vimto!

DSCF0104.jpg

You are in for a real treat when this is ready . . . Say in about 2 or 3 years. . . . This is one beer that keeps really well. The last two bottles I had of the first time I did this beer (In 1997) were opened in the last couple of months . . . and the comments were more than favourable. Obviously after 12 years in bottle there were some negative aspects, but they did not detract in a huge way from the flavours and enjoyment.

So what OG did you get in the FV . . . and have you tried the wort prior to fermentation?

NIcely done mate :thumb:

Out of interest how did your IC perform today, I'm thinking of building of the same design (hope you don't mind).

J

Latest posts

Back