Coopers, English Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one Bandy, I've done the Copers English Bitter twice and loved them both. You know you're doomed now, once you start HBing there's no going back. Shop around for brew enhancer that has spray malt in it, I used the Youngs from the Tesco Sale at �£3.75 a kilo it gives a richer beer and check out the "How to" on dry hopping or hop teas. So what's your next brew going to be?

Thanks for the comments and advice. I am still enjoying the Coopers EB but my next brew is already bottled! I've really got into the American IPA's recently so I tried to replicate them using the following ingredients

1 can Coopers IPA.
500g Light spray malt.
650g dextrose.
Made a hop tea with approx 30g Cascade.
Swapped the Coopers yeast for Safale US-05.
Let this ferment for 14 days before bottling.

I am going to add this recipe and my comments to the Coopers IPA thread once I crack it open......

You've certainly hit the ground running Bandy, sounds like you've got some cracking brews in the pipeline. Keep us all updated on your brews, looking forward to see what you brew in the future.

I've really got into the American IPA's recently so I tried to replicate them using the following ingredients -----1 can Coopers IPA. .
Bandy
I suggest you give a Coopers Real Ale kit a try as a base for an AIPA style. It is lighter than the Coopers IPA, but still quite hoppy as they come. I have just put two more on order, to experiment with to try to develop this same style. I also tried the AuPA but it didn't deliver in the same way as the RA kit did for me.

I woke up early on Sunday and had a burst of energy, so did the laundry, washed the dishes, mended a puncture on my bike, all before 11, then thought what can I do next.... Then I remembered I had a tin Of Coopers EB from Christmas 2014 in the cupboard, plus some ingredients I bought in preparation for my first extract brew.
So I 'pimped' the kit with 200g Crystal steeped for 30 mins, boiled 1 tin of light LME, water and 25g Fuggles pellets for 10 mins. Added kit and topped up to 23L and added the supplied yeast.
Within an hour the airlock was popping!
I haven't used hops before so was surprised how pungent the Fuggles pellets were! I offered them around the family for a sniff test, nobody had a good word to say....:sick:
OG was 10.1 brix at 23°C which works out to 1.0413
Can't wait to see how this turns out. I did a standard Coopers EB last year so it will be interesting to see the comparison with the Crystal & Fuggles version.
Just need to think of a snazzy name and design a label now....

Just opened my first one last night. Had it in fridge 2 days to clear. Nice head, quite dark, as expected. Very tasty, the fuggles really come through. As good as a pub pint any day. The Coopers EB taste is still there but in the background. All in all I'm well pleased with this. Couldn't think of a snazzy name so just went with "Special Bitter".

Last edited:
Back