Forgot Irish Moss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
HI there, i stupidly forgot to add in the Irish Moss (even though it was sitting right there) into my brew! Ive since transferred from the primary in Demijohns and was wondering what the best thing to do now is? Is it leave it and then add finings

It might clear anyway - I forget Irish Moss sometimes and get clear beer on occasions.

Not sure if it would work, but you could try boiling some in a little water, cooling it and adding to the FV. I reckon it could work.

If it is only you drinking it don't worry about it... the haze does not alter the flavour.

Technically (I will accept being corrected as I am not 100% sure on this) you could whack an Irish Moss tea in at any point, boil some seaweed in water and sieve out the gunk then tip it in.

Luke

I'd leave it rather than add gelatine. A bit of haze is no big deal, and gelatine can remove flavour I think. Maybe try adding the Irish moss tea. An experiment, but can't do any harm.

I also forgot the Irish Moss. The Light Ale cleared perfectly. I'm now wondering is some Brewers never use it? Perhaps it's requirement is a brewing myth.

I also forgot the Irish Moss. The Light Ale cleared perfectly. I'm now wondering is some Brewers never use it? Perhaps it's requirement is a brewing myth.

My first AG was without Irish Moss - it took forever to clear (or, more accurately, the few bottles to survive more than a couple of weeks eventually cleared). Brews since then have had 1/2 teaspoon of Irish Moss 15 mins from the end of the boil and have been crystal clear as soon as the beer's conditioned. I don't know if its chemistry or witchcraft, but I'm sticking with it.

My first AG was without Irish Moss - it took forever to clear (or, more accurately, the few bottles to survive more than a couple of weeks eventually cleared). Brews since then have had 1/2 teaspoon of Irish Moss 15 mins from the end of the boil and have been crystal clear as soon as the beer's conditioned. I don't know if its chemistry or witchcraft, but I'm sticking with it.

As science is essentially empirical, I'd call this chemistry myself.

Latest posts

Back