No campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koiking1965

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I've made a mistake......
This is my first attempt to make a pear cider after collecting pears cleaning crushing and pressing 20 litres of juice! I then added my yeast and some sugar. As it said on my campden tablet instructions to add after fermentation ;( what should I do?
Regards
Steve

Hi n welcome Steve.. If your fermentation has finished it wont do your brew any harm if you let it sit a day or two while you get some more campden tabs.. it will just have a bit more time to drop out a bit more sediment..

i generally brew beers and have only done a few TC brews but my understanding is a campden tab is generally used with a cider or perry as a pre fermentation anti bacterial measure, at the end of fermentation it will have a detrimental effect on the yeast and may even wipe them out leaving you without a sufficient population within your brew to effect a secondary or conditioning fermentation in the bottle?
But i could be wrong.. ;)

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

Stop worrying!

The yeast you pitched should start fermenting in the next 36 hours and it will make it very difficult for anything else to get in there and spoil the party.

Relax!

Latest posts

Back