Racked off the lees, now what?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregrinus

Reaction score
It has been a while since I did any wine and so I am rusty with what to do next. I have made a plum wine which has fermented out and has been racked into another DJ. In my old notes I talk about adding CT and Pot Sorb, is this done for every wine? I also remember something about degassing which involved shaking the DJ twice a day for a week.

Essentially what do I do now, do I just leave it to mature before bottling or add a few things and hope it clears?

The campden tablet (CT) and potassium sorbate (Pot Sorb) will stabilise the wine and make sure that it doesn't start fermenting again. This isn't necessary if you are sure all the sugars have been fermented away, but is needed if there is a chance that it has stalled near the end of fermentation, or if you want to put more sugar back in to sweeten it. I use them both, but plenty of people make great dry wine without them, or use non-fermentable sweeteners.

Degassing is to remove any left over CO2, and just involves agitating the wine so that it bubbles out and leaves you will still wine.

Back