Red WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger

Reaction score
After making loads of original Wows, I'm after a recipe or advice from anyone who has had any luck into making a decent red. I'm not a lover of rose but was hoping I could make a half decent red from juices

Afaik there are merlot?? red grape juice cartons available and i think a while back someone here was making wine with them, i don't know how it turned out in the end. Some of the top end red wine kits also come with the actual grapes to add into them, I can't recall ever seeing them for sale in any homebrew shop as an enhancer but might also be worth keeping an eye out for.

Sorry to bump the thread but had a question thats related. My understanding of red wine is that the must is left with the skins to take on the colour and flavours of the skins, if this is correct could you buy some red grapes, crush slightly and leave in with the juice?

Sorry to bump the thread but had a question thats related. My understanding of red wine is that the must is left with the skins to take on the colour and flavours of the skins, if this is correct could you buy some red grapes, crush slightly and leave in with the juice?

I don't suppose they would do any harm :)

I disagree, you could always make a Richard's Red which is pretty decently bodied for the ingredients. Some people even add oak chips and age for a couple of months.
Works out at about ��£1.20 a bottle.

Dangerously disagreeing with the 'disagreer' :)

I have made Richard's red.

The Richard's red is fine but still not a 'Red' . ok , so when is a red not a red and how red has it got to be to be called red? etc etc. Discuss! :pray:

Was reading about Elderberry wine the other day and this seems to be more "red" in style. it also needs to be aged for a longer time due to the high tannins so maybe the answer is to "overflavour" on the understanding that it will need to be aged for 18 months before its drinkable?

Dangerously disagreeing with the 'disagreer' :)

I have made Richard's red.

The Richard's red is fine but still not a 'Red' . ok , so when is a red not a red and how red has it got to be to be called red? etc etc. Discuss! :pray:

Thee disagree with the disagreeing with the disagreer :grin:.
I was comparing Richards Red to a quaffable �£3 bottle I would pick up in Aldi, maybe it's my lack of refined palate (more than likely, mainly a beer drinker) but I think it's quite full bodied.
Maybe I need to do some experimenting with RR?
Banana juice/Currants/raisins, hmm the cogs are turning, have to see how much room I have for some more DJ's and get trying.

I have a 6 year old elderberry that I forgot about, might have to bottle it and give it a try. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back