Coopers, Canadian Blonde Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got this kit on the go now

14/12/16
Coopers Canadian blonde
1kg muntons brew enhancer
Brewed short to 21 litres
OG=1.050

Its down to 1.010 today - see how it is over the coming days and move to 2nd FV. I'm going to dry hop with 25g of citra which is left over from my previous brew

Good move on the dry hopping. :thumb:This kit needs all the help it can get imo. If you have more than the 25g of your Citra chuck it in!

Hello All
Please can you advise me, I am making my first Canadian Blonde, I am thinking of using

1x Blonde Kit
1x 1.5kg of Coopers Amber Malt Extract
300 grams of brewers sugar
1x Youngs Lager Yeast

All help appreciated

Hello All
Please can you advise me, I am making my first Canadian Blonde, I am thinking of using

1x Blonde Kit
1x 1.5kg of Coopers Amber Malt Extract
300 grams of brewers sugar
1x Youngs Lager Yeast

All help appreciated
Mark if your going to use a lager yeast I do hope you can control the temp. This was one of my fav kits and only used brew enhancer. It was a simple malty ale, I used the kit yeast and I enjoyed it.

Some think it is bland, but each to their own.

As sdt said,+1 for temp control if you're going to use a lager yeast, if you don't have temp control you could try something like S04, S05 maybe, although the kit yeast will be fine, I've never had a problem with Coopers yeast but I do tend to double up on them just in case. Kits like this, the Wilko Delicate Pilsner are great blank canvas kits and really benefit from a hop tea/dry hop or a heavy dry hop and the lightness of the kit will really showcase the hops. Your fermentables look fine, I'd imagine somewhere around the 1050 mark as an SG off the top of my head. For these type of beers I use 600ml bottles and prime with 1tsp of sugar to get that real lager fizz on the tongue when they're chilled.

Really good kit. I think the kit yeast and recommended brew enhancer worked great. Going to do another one but add a 30g hop tea. Probably citra, maybe progress. It's a great beer but I think it could do with a boost personally

I'd go with the others and add a hop tea or dry hop. Personally I would just use the kit yeast as it comes, Coopers yeasts rarely gives any trouble.
PS. Youngs lager yeast apparently comes in 5g packets, which, unless you double up, is unlikely to be enough to be up to the job, especially if you ferment at low lager-type fermentation temperatures. Another reason for staying with the kit yeast. And in any case changing the yeast for this kit won't make a lot of difference to the end product imo.

Last edited:
I've moved on from kits now but the best results i had from a coopers it was this, i just stuck with the kit yeast added 1kg of brew enhancer and dry hopped with 50g of cascade for 4 days after primary had finished...twas amazing !

I had my first bottle of this Kit last night. I was really impressed as to be honest I was not expecting much. I made mine up with 1Kg of Light Dry Malt Extract and 400g of Brewing sugar. At day 10 I added a hop tea made up of Mosaic and Citra Hops and added it to the brew. Bottled it on 03/03/22 and batch primed in a bottling bucket with 125g of brewing sugar dissolved in 400ml of hot water. It is a really nice refreshing beer, the mosaic and citra hops are very subtle and are just in the background. I made it up just for fun so as to pimp a basic kit, as a lawnmower beer. But it is perfect and will be very easily drank. OG = 1.044 and FG = 1.002. Used the kit yeast. So a very pleasant refreshing beer as nice as or even better than a shop bought beer at 5.5%. Win Win.

Latest posts

Back