Get a brewing book, read it, read it again and then read it.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
I learnt something this week (woohoo!). I realised I've got a load of questions about my brewing such as "why do I get loads of break material in the FV" and "do you completely drain the MLT before sparging", "I can't remember, which way round is it - high mash temp= more dextrins, or low mash temp = more dextrins"...

So I picked up my copy of "Home Brewing - the CAMRA guide" and read it from cover to cover for about the 5th time. All questions answered, and I now feel 100% confident I'll know what I'm doing on my next brew :thumb:

For inexperienced brewers such as myself, my advice over anything else (including fermentation temp control!) would be:

Buy a decent brewing book. Read it, read it again, do a couple of brews and read it again. And again. :whistle:

Tricky thing is though, how does a newbie like me know what is a genuine good home brew book?

I've read posts on here by people who know more than me, who discredit some home brew books.

I suppose, if anyone, I would expect CAMRA to have an up to date book.

I only brew kits, but even so i've had a multitude of questions, and there is still a load of stuff i don't understand. Can't imagine how many questions i'd have i did an AG!

I am quite inquisitive generally though, and like to understand why something works, rather than simply be told how to do something.

Yep - I agree with you actually. I think the Graham Wheeler one I have came highly recommended but it's 20 years old and aparently he's meant to be writing a new one, but who know's when that'll be out... :whistle:

I think the thing is that home brewing has come forward massively in the last 10 years, probably even in the last 5 years, and now it's so easy for people to share ideas and "best practices" over the internet, a lot of the literature out there is either a little or a lot out of date and in some cases, just plain wrong. The principals are the same, but because with brewing there are so many variables and nuances that affect the final beer, it's not always clear what's the best thing to do.

Obviously, all the reading in the world won't produce good beer. Brewing is. Practice makes perfect and all that :cheers:

Is there a "recommended reading" section on this forum?

Graham Wheeler does post on another site and someone posted recently the new book was being advertised on Amazon for release I think April/May time, which seemed to take him by supprise. But he said he would get his finger out and complete.

Ceejay said:
YIs there a "recommended reading" section on this forum?
There are several 'Recommend me a brewing book' Threads . . the real problem is that what I think is a good home brewing book will be different to another brewer with a different amount of knowledge/experience. What I expect from a good brewing book is that what information is there is based on fact and sound brewing research / knowledge, and is accurate and relevant . . Some authors seem to miss the point

Definately agree with Aleman there.

I have two books that I am ploughing through at the moment that would not make a lot of sense to a non-scientist.
They are good books IMO, but very technical in parts and you need a reasonable scientific knowledge to get anything from them......took me back 20 years when I opened them :eek:
One of them I actually bought on a recommendation that Aleman posted on Amazon :lol:

May I ask which books? :lol:

I think what I was trying to get at in the OP is that it's really easy for an inexperienced/beginning brewer such as myself to get bogged down in the infinite details of brewing, especially when you read something on a forum and you're like "oh, maybe I should be doing that". It gets to the stage where, if you're inquisitive like me, you can lose sight of the "basics". And that's why I have found it really useful to re-read the GW book.

For instance, I couldn't work out why when I'm stirring the wort during cooling and trying to recirculate it as well, it doesn't run bright. On reading the book again, I realise I have completely missed out on letting the hops and trub settle out to form a filter bed. Really basic stuff, that sounds stupid - but I've got so wrapped up in "whirlpooling" and recirculating I've lost sight of what I'm actually trying to achieve in the first place.

Hope that all makes sense... Sorry for all the musing! :oops:

markp said:
One of them I actually bought on a recommendation that Aleman posted on Amazon :lol:
Ceejay said:
May I ask which books? :lol:
The One I know about is Brewing by Lewis And Young It's a degree level text book though . . . and one of the best explanations of water chemistry I've ever read . . . 2nd edition and onwards ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What about how to brew by Palmer? I just bought this book as I heard it recommended on the brewstrong podcasts... of course the guy on the podcast is Palmer (and MrMalty too) lol.

I am also looking to pick up the Yeast book and maybe one other (maybe brew like a monk?).

I am quite interested in these more scientific books though... a list of the more technical texts would be great to read.

StubbsPKS said:
What about how to brew by Palmer? I just bought this book as I heard it recommended on the brewstrong podcasts...
I decided to buy this as well . . . I have the first edition which is complete **** (Think CJJ Berry Homebrewed Beers and Stouts) but with lots of people saying how good the 3rd edition is I thought I better see if it has improved over the 1st one.

Aleman said:
Ceejay said:
YIs there a "recommended reading" section on this forum?
There are several 'Recommend me a brewing book' Threads . . the real problem is that what I think is a good home brewing book will be different to another brewer with a different amount of knowledge/experience. What I expect from a good brewing book is that what information is there is based on fact and sound brewing research / knowledge, and is accurate and relevant . . Some authors seem to miss the point

A lot of it is down to personal preference though, isn't it? You come across very much as the forum scientist, and I must confess that your knowledge (especially about yeasties) absolutely leaves my head spinning.

I guess that either I'm a very, very lucky brewer (with a name like Luckyeddie, how can I fail?) or I have no sense of taste at all. I have never had a 'bad batch' in 30 odd years of brewing - well, not one that's been completely sinkworthy anyway. I have become very adventurous in recent years, trying to push a few boundaries (although there's only so much you can do with kits).

Nowadays, I'm looking upon brewing as more an art form - I'm trying to be really creative. I will probably never win any competitions (I've never entered any, so that might be one reason for that) but I will have a lot of fun along the way. In another lifetime, I would have been happy as a Belgian Trappist monk. I can recommend Stan Hieronymus's 'Brew Like A Monk', although he makes a dick of himself when he criticises the American breweries for being a little too adventurous and he ends up coming across as a bit pompous.

One book I have been reading recently is Home Brewing By John Parkes which is very much a beginners introduction to brewing covering Kits extract and All grain . . .with no unnecessary technical detail . . . and I love it, as a beginners introduction to brewing it works perfectly, and most important concentrates on what's important, and forgets about the stuff that isn't.

If anyone is not interested in the 'Why' we do something, but wants to know 'How' to do it it is a perfect book

The really good part about the book is that the information that is presented is accurate, and correct.

Graham wheeler book is listed as 4/7/2011 for release, but these dates are vague at best. Missus had a book published and amazon were constantly changing the publication date, even tho the missus and even the publishers didn't have a date.

I'm looking for reading material too.

I'm in a similar position to OP and Shearclass; newbie in search of information.

Before creating my home library of Brewing Books, I will read all I can from the library. :geek: This way the subjective barrier of what is "best" may be lowered; hopefully!

I think the forum will be an excellent place to clarify information from the books. :pray:

YogiBeer

Latest posts

Back